Thursday, September 3, 2026

<<<<< BUILDING THE GLOUCESTER GULL LIGHT DORY PART (11) >>>>>

    
The seat risers that the thwart will sit on has been glued and screwed in place. Behind each  riser I have glued a 6mm (quarter inch) packer which makes the hull thickness in this high stress area 12mm (half an inch). The packer ensures no hard spots in a high stress area (the rowing thwart). The next job in this area is to cut the thwart to length along with the correct bevel and camber at each end. The rowing thwart will be glued and screwed to the port and starboard seat risers and the main frame cross member.

A bevel has already been cut on the underside of each of the gunwales with a table saw. Here I am tapering each end of the gunwales with a hand plane before they are glued and screwed to the dory's sheer line. Tapering the gunwales at each end to classic proportions enhance and complement a boat's sheer. After the gunwales are glued and fastened in place I will add inwales on the inside of the port and starboard sheer lines.

Progress has been slow but steady. I am finding working in a rather confined space a bit trying at times - but "needs must" as the saying goes.

No comments: