Wednesday, September 1, 2021

________________ A MAST IS NOT A MAST WHEN IT IS A ? ________________

Photo taken last season at Parua Bay Yacht Club

There should be two warning signs in this photograph - the warning about the slippery ramp in the foreground and another warning the skipper of the small yacht in the back ground that (s)he has no chance of holding the boat upright in any sort of breeze with a sail that matches the height of that mast! But of course shipmates ............. a mast is not a mast when it is a ? ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ 

....... Yes, yes, yes, yes, I know, I know, but New Zealand is in the middle of a full on Level 4 Covid 19 Delta lock down thingie and I felt the need to post something whimsical, to sort of help the cosmic balance - whatever the F___ ___ ___   that means. There, you now have TWO words to guess.  

Posted by moi in my comedic role as head of the nautical branch of the Ministry of Silly Walks. Please send all prize money for guessing the two words to me promptly - thank you.

7 comments:

Barubi said...

I don’t know what the first word is, but there aren’t enough spaces for “flagpole” in the second word.

Alden Smith said...

"flagpole" fits as the second word but only if you say it (or type it) really, really fast, then it just squeezes in - which leaves us with the first 8 letter word, hmmmmm, yep, it's a toughie all right. If you can't figure it out, protocol demands you run a white flag up your flagpole.

Alden Smith said...

Ah Barubi - No wonder you couldn't figure out the first word, I had too many letter spaces - I have since corrected this and the word you knew all along will now fit!! Sorry about that.

Barubi said...

“Frap” is a good salty nautical word that fits, but I think it’s “flax” because I’m sure there’s some in the photo background.

Alden Smith said...

Yes this quizz is really hard especially considering I have forgotten what the words are myself, including which word is first and which is last.
Funiculì, Funiculà works quite well for the first word, except that it's two words and 'Phuck' works quite well for the second, except that it has too many letters. Bugger, for me it's now a little bit like forgetting a password. Where are all the Enigma Code breakers when you need them?

Barubi said...

Spring has sprung and I think you’re going down to Level 2 restrictions, so maybe a day out on the water will make which word is which irrelevant.

Alden Smith said...

Yes indeed, level 2 from Wednesday of this week. This lower level should relieve the cabin fever, straighten out the silly walk and a good hard sail will cure the sailing withdrawal symptoms - can hardly wait for the sail!