Monday, April 13, 2020

-------- FOUR RIVERS - A PILGRIMAGE - RIVER TWO - THE RIVER DEBEN --------

When we arrived at Woodbridge at the head of the river Deben we watched a local boat being lifted out.

I am guessing that the boats in the foreground are fair dinkum Deben 3 tonners in their native environment.

A beautiful day of soft light on the Deben. I think the yacht in the foreground is an East Anglian One Design. (Alan Buchanan?)

The Deben Yacht Club perched over the river with floating pontoons - a real proper yacht club.
Deben Yacht Club on the river since 1838 - Two years before the signing of New Zealands founding document, The Treaty of Waitangi.

It was a mellow day on the Deben. I was struck with how peaceful and quiet it was. I would love to sail around these beautiful rivers.

 Good fleet of sailing dinghies. Let's hope no one ever turns this into a car park. 

 Soft Autumn English light on the Deben. 

Took a look inside a boat shed on the wharf close to the Deben Yacht Club. If I could take this great boat building shed home with me to New Zealand I wouldn't do so without taking this jaw droppingly beautiful little shoal draft cruising yacht with me.

Beautiful little cruising yachts - real little ships.

Taking a look at photos on the internet I can see that a flying visit and a walk around didn't cover anything like what Woodbridge and the River Deben has to offer - but I'll be back, hopefully next time out on the river as well.


I liked Woodbridge and what I could see of the river Deben very much indeed - I'll be back.

2 comments:

Paul Mullings said...

My favourite East Coast town. Did you visit Sutton Hoo the famous Saxon Ship Burial Site on the opposite bank of the River?

Alden Smith said...

Unfortunately not. It was a bit of a whistle stop tour - but I have had a taste and I will be returning.