Monday, March 9, 2020

_________________________ MELLOW YELLOW _________________________

Painting is something that I really do not do well, so it was with a lot of trepidation that I began this part of the restoration. All I can say is - "So far, so good". With two out of three (or four) finishing coats on, things are looking reasonably good.

The drill has been coats of 'single pot' International brand 'TopLac' finishing paint applied with a fine foam roller, tipped off with a paint brush. The coats have been 'next day' coats, so I am going for a chemical bond between coats with the very minimum of selected sanding in a few problematic areas.

The key to the smoothness has been thinning the paint up to 10% with the appropriate thinners. After tipping off the thinly applied rolls of paint, the addition of thinners to the paint has allowed the paint to 'self level' giving a surface free of paint brush marks.

I will apply another coat tomorrow and maybe another the day after that. I will then sail the boat as painted, then do a cut and buff after a couple of months when the paint has completely hardened. I chose the colour yellow because it is a bright, happy, positive colour that makes me smile.................... also it will be a good colour for the Coast Guard to see if I need to be rescued from some old age dotage induced, self indulgent whim of loading the boat up with sandwiches and a thermos and setting off on a passage in the direction of Cape Horn.

8 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Stunning... and also shiny... :D

Alden Smith said...

Yes, as I roll on the final coat today I will be wearing sun glasses.

Barubi said...

Funnily, I’ve just finished painting my 65 cm model yellow, but I’m cheating and sprayed 1K clear coat to get a gloss. It should be hard enough to buff when I get back to Sydney from Wellington.
With a bit of luck there’ll be a travel ban and we’ll have to stay in NZ longer.

Alden Smith said...

You obviously have very good colour sense : >)

A whole range of travel bans have been announced today. I don't know if they will affect you returning to Australia - but it looks like things are getting ramped up to a new level.

Barubi said...

Changing the subject from Slipstream’s marvellous refit, yes the travel restrictions are a bugger. My youngest son and his four month old son were joining us in NZ for our younger granddaughter’s second birthday; that’s off now.
I was returning to Australia in time for the Endeavour championships in Botany Bay at Easter, but now I’ll be in isolation and miss the event for the first time in fifteen years.
We still wouldn’t have missed time with the granddaughters.

Alden Smith said...

Yes, any time with grandchildren is precious. I hope this disruption to your travel plans is resolved sooner rather than later and that in the present health alarm context safety comes first. Take care.

Char said...

I really love the colour Dad xx

Alden Smith said...

Yes, yellow is a happy colour - the colour of sunshine : >)