Tuesday, February 11, 2020

_________________ INVOKING BILBOS WALKING SONG __________________

The road goes ever on and on,
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Bilbo Baggins of Bag End wrote this walking song about, well, walking. Being a distant cousin of Bilbo I have decided to use my family connections and borrow the song for a nautical use. It may be a stretch for some, but for me I like to see the walking song also as a metaphor for (among other endeavours) boat building and restoration. If you've ever laboured (and suffered) over a much loved project you will indeed understand.

Bow detail - Mahogany scarfed into Alaskan Red Cedar

I have always thought myself to be a bumbling and hopeless painter. Today I had a brain wave. Instead of launching forth into the beginning of 6 coats of varnish I read for the first time the Aus/NZ edition of International Paints 'Boat Paint Guide with Colour Card and How-to Guide'. What a useful eye opener! The golden sentence were words to the effect that 'Two thin coats of varnish are better than one thick coat that runs everywhere'. I brushed on one thin coat - no runs - Hallelujah.

 I have made the mast collar with a rebated slot to take the mast boot bungy cord - keeps the water out.

I also varnished the poplar dagger-board case. The holes at the forward base are hiking strap attachment points.

 Rather than butt the cockpit trim at right angles I have fitted rounded corners - much easier on the eye.
I am pleased with the way the grain in the Gaboon plywood deck has been picked up by the varnish.

The weather is balmy and warm at the moment so the next 5 days are booked for the last coats of varnish (6 in total). I then begin the painting of the hull - the road goes ever on.

16 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

Beautiful work to behold, Alden!

Alden Smith said...

Thanks Dan - it's as always a labour of love and great when it all goes well - so far so good!

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Damn... you could put legs on that and put it in the sitting room as a coffee table.. lovely varnish work!

Bursledon Blogger said...

Ditto Dan's comment that's lovely woodwork

Alden Smith said...

An inspired thought ... AND ... I could fill the cockpit with ice to put the beer in (it's 30 degrees plus here at the moment) .... AND ... put down the two self bailers to drain the melted ice - you are full of good ideas Steve : >)

Alden Smith said...

Max, thanks for your comment. I am being helped by almost perfect varnishing weather that should last long enough for the intended 6 coats.

George A said...

Nice work Alden! Love the small details you've added.

Alden Smith said...

Thanks George. Today I undercoated the cockpit - I am sure I can hear salt water lapping and a fair wind blowing. I can hardly wait to get sailing again.

Barubi said...

Congratulations, it’s one thing knowing not to put on thick coats, it’s another to have the discipline not to dab on another dollop of varnish to cover up a bit that looks too thin and then another dab to smooth over the subsequent run.

Alden Smith said...

Thanks Barubi - and it sounds as though you have some first hand experience in dabs, dollops and runs. From what I am hearing and experiencing there are two things that are important. First, put on thin coats, not heavy coats and secondly - go fast so that you maintain the wet edge.
Another thing we should do is go easy on ourselves - amateurs are trying to do what it takes professionals years to perfect. Personally I am not looking for a Steinway Piano look - just a shipshape look without big blobby runs all over the place.

Ben said...

This is art, very pleasent to the eye

Alden Smith said...

Ben, I am not sure that I agree with your elevation of my craftsmanship to 'art' but I will take the compliment : >)

I have the boat upside down at the moment awaiting 3 coats of yellow finishing paint but this will have to be put on hold as unfortunately my leg gave way yesterday and I can't walk. So this morning I am off to the hospital to get my leg looked at. I hope they give me some crutches as I am sick of hopping around like a rabbit.

George A said...

Hope the gimpy leg heals well and soon.

Alden Smith said...

Thanks George. The hospital x-rayed my knee and sent me home with a pair of very useful crutches and a large leg brace which will also be very useful. The brace may help me stand and move around enough to paint the boat without falling over. I have been referred to an orthopedic surgeon for assessment and treatment. All of this is a much better outcome than a tot of rum, biting on a piece of leather and being treated by Dr Sawbones but it doesn't stop getting older being a pestilential pain in the ass.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Damn - sorry to hear about the leg Alden... I hope it comes well soon!

Alden Smith said...

Thanks Steve. I am on the mend and the crutches are giving my leg a much needed break from weight bearing. Life is just one thing after another with many of those 'things' situations that involve adaptation and forbearance. One things for certain - some sailing, sometime, somehow.