Tuesday, July 18, 2017

_________________ A TRANSPARENT PLASTIC TENT ____________________

Yesterday was a great day out on the water. There was nothing quite like sailing down the coast with David and Alice on 'Chez Nous' to remind me why I am doing all this work on 'Mariner' and to reinforce my resolve to bring this work to a satisfactory conclusion.

Now that it is the middle of winter in New Zealand and I have a some fiberglassing to do on the keel I have taped a clear plastic tent around the boat to keep the cold, wet weather out and enable me to work on 'Mariner' without weather interruptions. A good working temperature above 10 degrees is required for a successful fiberglassing outcome and the plastic tent does raise the temperature in a similar manner to a small tunnel house that a tomato grower might use.

The somewhat jigsaw like aspect of the work on 'Mariner's diesel is also piecing itself together in a slow but worthwhile manner. Hopefully the many simple changes that I am incorporating on the advice of my diesel mechanic Geoff will ensure trouble free motoring for many years to come.

Now that we are on the downward face of this large wave of work I am really, really looking forward to a nice winter sail - a windy, boisterous trip somewhere ending in a cozy, snug anchorage and the sound of the kettle boiling on 'Mariner's little stove - bliss.

2 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Tea and biccies in the warm cabin of your own boat - there's nothing like it!

Alden Smith said...

Yes, it's one of those quiet satisfactions that needs to be experienced to be fully appreciated - as I know you do on 'Sparrow'.