Sunday, August 23, 2020

____________ SAILING, CABER TOSSING AND GROWING OLD ____________

Today was the penultimate set of races of the combined Whangarei clubs winter racing series - one more to go. The forecast was for 10 knots rising throughout the day towards thunderstorms with 50 knots plus gusts. At the briefing we were told that we could get three races in and be off the water before the big wind came. None of this eventuated and the breeze never went over about 5 knots. As I type it's teeming with rain with a rising wind. The rain will give my sailing gear an excellent rinse of fresh water as it flaps like a row of flags on the washing line.


I sometimes wonder whether small boat sailors would make good caber tossers. Some of us have had a lifetimes practise lifting various masts of varying weights in and out of small boats. In my case my ancestry goes back to the Scottish Gunn clan. Perhaps I will turn up at next summers local Waipu Highland Games wearing my Gunn tartan armed with my Zephyr mast.

Prospective skipper with archetypal boat mast dreaming of becoming a small boat sailor.

Thanks to my brother Tony I have these photos of todays sailing. It's good to have some nice photos of the boat sailing. I think she looks good on the water and I am pleased with the colour I chose for the hull, but if I was to become particularly fashion conscious I should probably change the sail numbers to a red colour. It's important for us men to be colour coordinated when we try and make bold sailing statements.



A man and his boat. Despite how difficult it is becoming physically to launch and retrieve the boat it is still the retirement activity that I enjoy the most. Note that I said "launch and retrieve". The sailing is actually a breeze, even in very strong winds. It's the pulling of the boat back up the ramp that is becoming difficult. As my father used to say to me in his latter years, "It's a bugger getting old".

10 comments:

Bursledon Blogger said...

Alden - at risk of being a pedant shouldn't it be "fashion conscious" and "colour coordinated" :O)

Judging by the photos you have spacious car parking in which to assemble the boats - something in scare supply over here.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Amen brother... I can sail all day easy, but the pull of the tender up the slipway at the end of the day is a killer... :o)

Alden Smith said...

Risk being a pedant every time Max. I appreciate having that glaring grammatical mistake pointed out - adds more depth to my old dads saying, "It's a bugger getting old". My only excuse is 3 hard back to back races today and having to haul the boat up the ramp; which I know carries about as much weight as the little boy who tells the teacher that the dog ate his homework.

Yes, great parking and rigging area. The clubs rigging area is actually small, but because there is a big public launching ramp right next door to the One Tree Point Yacht Club the associated public car park across the road from the this ramp can be cheekily used to rig up in when it's empty of cars and trailers, as it was this winters day.

Alden Smith said...

We need to get clever as we get older Steve. I need a third wheel (at the front) on my beach trolley which would mean I would be pulling - not pulling and lifting at the same time. With yacht tenders it means a couple of wheelbarrow handles at the stern and a wheel in the front.

Barubi said...

I remember a fitness trial from last century where the highest heart rate in sailing a Finn was raising the mast. I think my hardest exercise in Laser sailing is climbing on the fin to right a capsize and when the boat is upright I have to have a breather before clambering back on board. If I wasn’t so fat I’d use a radial sail, but I’ll try to wait a couple years until I’m 70.
Remember, old age and cunning beats youth and skill.

Bursledon Blogger said...

Getting a launching trolley jockey wheel is definitely the way.


I have two of these

https://www.rssailingstore.com/Catalogue/RS-Parts/RS-Venture/RS-Venture-Connect/RS-Venture-Connect-Sails-Trolley-Accessories/Launch-Trolley-Jockey-Wheel-Complete-Solid-RSM-TR-900

But I did have one of these are they are the best - if not easily available in NZ maybe get one fabricated

https://www.pinbax.com/?Details=30952

Plus a block and tackle (I use an old mainsheet with triple blocks and a long rope if all else fails.

Max

Alden Smith said...

Barubi - The toughest lift would have been before carbon fibre masts. I remember the solid laminated wooden Finn masts of the 1960s and the solid wooden mast on my OK Dinghy. I was pretty fit in 1968 but the OK mast was still a bit of a lift, especially in high winds. Yes! old age and cunning, important skills!

Alden Smith said...

Good advice Max. My clinker dinghy 'Scout's beach trolley has a jockey wheel which helps a lot, although it's still difficult because 'Scout' is very heavy. I might try a block and tackle with this boat.

I have thought of putting a jockey wheel on my Zephyr 'Slipstream's beach trolley but I think that I might first try moving the wheels further forward on the trolley so that the boat balances a little better - so that its more 'pull' and minimal 'lift'.

Ben said...

Life could be much easier for you old sailors. Use a caravan mover do drive the wheels of the trailer with an electric motor, controlled by a remote control. Additionally an electric winch could draw the boat on the trailer. With this equipment you could sail as long as you are capable to sit upright 😊

Alden Smith said...

Hi Ben - There is merit in using an electric winch to draw the boat on its beach trailer onto the road trailer - I do have a hand winch that I do use from time to time to pull the Zephyr and beach trolley up onto the road trailer, but an electric winch would be an alternative.

The road trailer doesn't need remote controlled electric motors as apart from when it's parked up at home it is always attached to the car. Unfortunately electric motors on a beach trolley would be submerged in salt water when the boat is launched.