Tuesday, June 9, 2020

________________________ TIME TO GO SAILING ________________________

 This is how the boat looked at the time of purchase.

This is how she looked half way through the renovation process.
 
 This is how she looks now, all dressed up and ready to rock and roll.

Yesterday the lowest Covid 19 emergency level (Level 1 of the 1 to 4 levels) came into action in New Zealand. This pretty much means that life goes back to normal except that the borders are still closed. Any special entry exceptions have to go into isolation for 14 days before fully entering the country.

I have spent a good amount of the Covid 19 lock down time finishing my Zephyr sailing dinghy 'Slipstream'. The last job has been setting up the sail controls and adjusting the rigging. Today I rigged the boat and checked everything - it's now time to go sailing.

6 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

She looks stunning..

Alden Smith said...

Thanks Steve - all I have to do now is just add water.

Barubi said...

That’s what a Zephyr should look like.
With the faired bottom and the muscles and fitness you’ve built up with all that sanding, you’ll dominate the racing.
Is that the finished fore-stay adjuster?

Alden Smith said...

Thanks Burubi - it's been a slow train coming but everything is now completed.
I like your confidence in my muscle mass! time and results will tell.

Yes the fore - stay adjuster is as seen in the photograph. The adjuster with its pulley system is tied to a rope chain plate - This rope chain plate is instead of a steel bow chain plate and incorporates a rope towing eye.

The whole rig set up now involves 3 shackles and about 5 reef knots. The boom now stays permanently on the boat with all the sail adjusters in place. The whole new arrangement is very easy and quick to set up. The goal is to make sure I'm not the last to pack up my boat after racing so that I don't miss the Apres Sail barbecue - I'm sick of missing out on the sausages.

Char said...

Salem would definitely approve of the color choice! Happy orange and blue. Well done for doing such a great job and using the lockdown time for something productive!

Alden Smith said...

Thank you Charlotte :> ) The project has taken me more time than I thought it would but it has been a good diversion during the Covid19 lock down.