Saturday, August 3, 2019

______________ STAGE TWO OF THE FAIRING PROCESS _________________

Don has faired six of these hulls before, so 'Slipstream' is in good hands as he uses a sanding board to do the first sanding.

Completion of the first sand. The timber hull shows through in the high spots, the low spots are where there is still fairing compound of up to a depth of 2mm. Sighting along the hull with my eye and using a fairing batten failed to show any hills or valleys in the hull. I was well pleased.

The second stage of the fairing process will be another layer of finer compound to fill up the grooves left from the first sanding. This second layer of fairing compound will then be sanded ready for painting.


2 comments:

George A said...

Roughly, how much weight do you estimate that the finished, faired hull will gain beyond just sanding and painting? Did you weigh the boat before starting the fairing process? I keep telling myself that there's a sweet spot in the equation somewhere...

Alden Smith said...

That's a good question that goes to the heart of the whole operation. The boat weighed in at 64 kilos before renovation. The minimum weight allowed by class rules is 58 kilos. After the deck was take off and the hull dried out the weight was down to about 40 kilos. It is known that the new deck will add about 9 kilos which leaves about 9 kilos for fairing, paint and fittings. I gave the hull four coats of EverDure wood preservative which will put back a bit of weight but I think I am on target compared with data from other peoples renos at this stage. I haven't been fastidious with weighing at every stage as my main aim is to have a strong, durable fair hull rather than have the boat underweight with lead correctors fitted.