Thursday, October 25, 2018

____________________ FROM PIGLET TO SEABIRD ____________________

This is the highly popular and successful 'Scamp' designed by New Zealander John Welsford. I have always loved this little boat except for one aspect - its rather porcine looks. The photo above is a rather flattering photograph of this little boat. From this angle she looks ok, in a pram dinghyish kind of way. But alas from other angles she looks, well, not to put too much of a snout on it - rather pig like.

Now don't get me wrong. I like pigs, they are good honest, intelligent animals and in saying so I feel it is a bit churlish to add that I like bacon and eggs with a couple of pieces of toast and a very hot cup of tea for breakfast from time to time - but good looking? pigs are not, really; unless of course you are an pig, with a pigs world view.

My brother agrees. Last week he sent away for a set of plans. If he builds a 'Scamp' he intends to call her 'Miss Piggy'. Fair enough I say, a more honestly descriptive name would be hard to imagine and far more honest than say 'Beautiful Swan', Cleopatra, or such like fantasies ..... and so as I contemplated my brothers possible build (Would I perhaps combine forces with him in this venture and build two together?) ............

............... and whilst flicking through on-line photos of various incarnations of 'Scamp' I came across these images below and in a split second the aesthetic ground fell away, Neptune's trumpet sounded across the boundless main and with a wind of certainty blowing a force 8 gale I watched a pig jump off a cliff top, sprout wings and fly with a plenitude of satisfaction into the maritime air scribing a great arc of seabird symmetry.
This is what I would call an 'Aesthetic fix' for 'Scamps' truncated appearance. It comes via the boat designing and building company Chesapeake Light Craft. It is a fix that can be purchased from the said company and affixed to the bow of any current 'Scamp' and in my opinion hugely improves the boats appearance. She transforms from Piglet to Seabird before you can say "Where did that awful flat bit go to". The more I look at the "After" version the more the "Before" version looks like a bit of vandalism to an excellent design.

Now a new build doesn't require an 'after market' fix. The new bow can easily be incorporated into a new build. If you are capable of building a 'Scamp' then you are capable of extending the bow a foot or so - such cosmetic surgery would not be rocket science.

I am aware that current 'Scamp' builders and owners may be inclined to throw smelly old sacks of rotten fish into my boats cockpit and shout "Judas Iscariot" across my bows but all I can say is that beauty is sometimes not in the eye of the beholder, nay it is an ever fixed mark in the aesthetic bones of the nautical cosmos and this "After" version of 'Scamp' is a fine example of said philosophy.

I would very much like to build myself one of these little beauties ..... and while I am doing so it would be an act of artistic conservation if current 'Scamp' owners purchased an 'after market' fix and made their boats presentable (no offense intended : > ) .......  even Cinderella got dressed up (glass slippers even) to go to the ball - and what a ball sailing 'Scamp' must be!

11 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

What are you waiting for??! :o))

Alden Smith said...

Yes, procrastination is not a fine thing indeed. There are three boats in contention for my next major build. 1 - 'Scamp' (with a pointy bow). 2 - CLC's 'Autumn Leaves' 18 foot canoe yawl. 3 - 'Hitty' A fantastic little 15 foot Cape Cod Catboat. I have in the past blogged about all of these contenders.

Perhaps my brothers intentions after he receives 'Scamps' plans in the mail (building two boats together has its attractions) and the added attraction of a 'Scamp' with a transformative bow will tip the scales? Lots to contemplate at the moment.

Paul Mullings said...

Alden, the pointy bit was an April Fool prank from CLC! On your looks comments I can’t agree with you, to my eyes she looks great from any angle, and I’ve seen many in the flesh, both here and on a recent trip to The States. You talk about a pointy ended Scamp, but apart from aesthetics it would serve little purpose in my view, but detract from the essence of what has become a great little ship!...Just saying :)

Alden Smith said...

Aaaaaaaah!!!! Well there's one born every day, and today it's me!!!! Expletive Deleted 10 times or more. There's no fool like an old fool who doesn't keep his eye on the calendar!!!! And man, didn't I just fall for it!!

Scamp is surely a small boat phenomenon and doesn't require a pointy bow to validate itself in any way at all - she is an original, jaunty, fun boat of amazing ability and commodious capacity in under 12 feet. She stands alone as she is as a great little boat.

But (and here we part company I guess) I do think the hull which is wide and fulsome looks a bit truncated when a cabin is added. If she was an open boat she would look more like what she is in reality which is a large pram dinghy and the truncated aesthetic to my eyes wouldn't stare me so full in the face.

I have often wondered what she would look like with the bow extended and CLCs' April Fools joke gives a good picture of what that would look like with a sharp point at the bow end. If I build one I will give it a sharp pointy bow and see how she looks - if it makes the boat look like crap, then it will be easy enough to simply saw if off with my big number one persuader handsaw.

Thanks for letting me in on the joke Paul, without your input I would be none the wiser : > )

Alden Smith said...

Perhaps an ironic name for a pointy ended 'Scamp' design would be 'April Fool'.

Paul Mullings said...

Ha ha, hook line and sinker!
Regards your comments about a big pram dinghy, I think if you look at Welsford’s “ Tender Behind” and “Tread Lightly” designs you’ll see clearly where Scamp hails.
Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Paul

Unknown said...

Hi little brother, after reading your dissertation (I know you were a school teacher and I can't spell) about the beautiful SCAMP, and how it reminds you of our porcine breakfast friends I have decided now that to call any SCAMP "miss piggy" would doing a disservice not only to the design but also may not be very P.C. from the designers point of view, so upon reflection, I have changed the name of any possible SCAMP, to YNOT, regards your bro TONY,

Alden Smith said...

Yes Paul, hook, line, sinker and the fishing rod as well I am afraid. My only excuse is that I am me, which many people will tell you explains everything.

I know John Welsfords' designs well. I have his book of designs which shows where the development of 'Scamps' hull shape comes from. I have my own copy of 'Tender Behinds' building plans, a dinghy I like very much but have never got around to building.

My brother bought around his recently purchased set of 'Scamp' plans yesterday and we discussed building it (I of course would purchase my own set) and I have to say, despite my posting about 'Scamps' bow I would be happy with either a pointy bow or a pram bow - it's such a great inspired design.

Alden Smith said...

Tony, I think Miss Piggy of 'Sesame Street' fame would be flattered to have a boat named after her and like me wouldn't give a toss as to whether it was PC or not; its a good honest name - she may even point out that 'PC' stands for 'Pigs Can'. Naming the boat YNOT - being an anagram of yourself may beg a number of questions which, as my lips are sealed I cannot answer.

In my experience as a builder and renovator of a number of boats, my suggestion would be to build 'Scamp', and as you build you will find the perfect name will find you and the boat - it always does.

Paul Mullings said...

Two of my favourite names seen on American Scamp’s are “Noddy” and “Fat Bottom Girl”!!

Alden Smith said...

Yes, I have seen photos of 'Noddy' and there is a video of "Fat Bottom Girl" on Utube - "Fat Bottom Girl", what a glorious name! and what a great design feature, she is never going to 'squat' under sail with a load on board because of this voluminous fact.