Sunday, January 14, 2018

_______________ PLEASE EXPLAIN MR EDGAR DEGAS _________________

Edgar Degas said, "Painting is easy when you don't know how, but difficult when you do". Obviously he never painted a Zephyr sailing dinghy.
Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. Edgar Degas
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/painting
 
As I have mentioned before, painting is really not my forte, so happiness and contentment for me in this context is a simple job well done. Today the paint brush, the tin of paint and me enjoyed an easy alliance. The results are a huge improvement on the first painting job I completed on 'Scout', which looked as though I had painted the hull with a yard broom.

I have painted 'Slipstreams' deck and cockpit using a foam roller and 'tipped off' any bubbles with a paint brush in the recommended way. The quality of a paint job is dependent on good application and thorough preparation. This time round all went reasonably well.

I will paint the working area of the deck and cockpit with a non skid deck paint in a slightly darker shade of grey.

As usual 'Murphys Law' came into play. As soon as I started painting, the wind rose and little seeds from a tree started to blow into the carport and float down onto the fresh paint. I hastily put up a couple of tarpaulins which happily stopped what could have been another painting disaster.

2 comments:

George A said...

I feel your pain. I am envious of the flawless paint and varnish jobs which I see on friends boats. And, yes, the life of the outdoor painter is filled with restless and often broken truces with mother nature. Makes one wonder how professionals, working on large yacht outdoors, seem to pull the perfect paint job off time after time. Must be art. I take comfort in the knowledge that "perfect" paint jobs on race boats don't stay that way for very long.

Alden Smith said...

Yes indeed. Professional painters usually serve an apprenticeship of 3 - 5 years in this country and learn all the tricks of the trade. Also having spray painting equipment and a suitable venue for spraying is always going to provide a better finish than a paint brush; and as you point out, working outside under not ideal cover also compromises things a little bit. But despite that I soldier on and try my best. Fortunately I have been able to live with the painting results on all my boats so far........ When all is said and done the key thing is that a good looking boat well skippered will out sail its paint job every time!! (Well, that's what I tell myself LOL).