Monday, September 5, 2016

______________________ MARINER'S DINGHY (8) _______________________

Shipmates, let me tell you about a sea change in my thinking. As I fitted the new central thwart and strong chunky knees in the stern and bow of Mariners' dinghy I was seized with a sea fever of reveries involving 'Swallows and Amazons'. Small creeks, estuaries, sandbanks, islands, rowing, sculling, sailing, camping, pirate flags and hidden treasure exploded into my consciousness and I became entranced with the idea of fitting a centerboard, mast and sail. After such a inundation of enticing possibilities all I can say is, "who am I to ignore my muse?"

Here, straddling the sawhorses are the dinghies new floorboards, the edges of which I have just planed smooth, having cut them from a sheet of plywood with my trusty 36 year old Makita jigsaw. I will coat them in resin and two pot paint to make them weather proof and durable.

I have placed this model of a small shoal draft centerboard gaff cutter (Not unlike the late great Maurice Griffiths little 'Lone Gull') in the window of my diminutive workshop. It helps focus the mind.

4 comments:

Ben said...

I knew it! See my remark of july 6.
If you get a chance you put a sail on your car :-)

Alden Smith said...

Yes Ben, your remark on July 6 has been somewhat prophetic. It will take a bit of extra work and expense but I think it will be worth the effort.

Ben said...

Not so much prophetic, but idea generating ?
Can you smell Spring already?

Alden Smith said...

Yes, Spring is here and we have the Iris's, tulips etc in our garden thrusting skywards to prove it!