Thursday, July 28, 2016

_______________________ SORTING THE SHED ________________________

My work shed is quite small - 2.13 x 2.44 meters ( 7 x 8 feet). Surprisingly I can actually work in it quite well so long as the job is not too big  (I can't get the dinghy I am working on at the moment inside this space). The problem with small work spaces is keeping them clean, tidy and uncluttered. Planing, sanding or grinding anything soon has everything covered in debris. So the trick is to use the space mainly for gear and tool storage and for doing small clean jobs. The carport that the workshop opens onto complete with its small workbench is the main work area. This arrangement works quite well so long as the weather is reasonably fine and warm. At this time of year rain is often driven into the carport making it an unpleasant place to work..... which I don't mind at all because it gives me time to commune with the physically passive side of being retired which is meditating, reading, cogitating on the meaning of life and eating food.

Recently this little work space had become so untidy and cluttered that I couldn't get from one end of the workshop to the other. Boxes of unsorted tools and gear were literally at waist height and the whole workshop resembled the chaos of someone with a serious hoarding problem.

So over the last couple of days I have been sorting, rearranging and throwing out a whole swag of gear. I still have a few boxes of gear to deal to but I think I am now pretty much sorted. Feels good.

The graphic artist Maurits Cornelis Escher said: 

“We adore chaos because we love to produce order."
 

8 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Love your shed/workspace..

I would say that we like chaos because it's "comfy" rather because we like to tidy stuff.. :o))

Bursledon Blogger said...

Cool shed - wish mine was half as tidy

Alden Smith said...

Steve, I think you are correct about the "comfy" aspect - a blokes shed (And the whole house actually) has to be 'real' and workable - not something set up for a House Design Magazine photo shoot.

Alden Smith said...

Max, one of the reason I was prompted to tidy was when I couldn't find a pair of scissors to cut some fiberglass tape - I now have six to choose from!

Ben said...

Is this the new shed you made in 2013? Quite a lot of stuff ! Good that there are carports to work under. I do the same. No complaints that I make the laundry to dry dirty. Those old fashioned hand drills work also good as a screwdriver. Tidying up once every so many years reveals always interesting forgotten possessions.

Alden Smith said...

Ben, this is not the shed I built in 2013 - this shed opens off the back of the carport making it a good place for tools, storage etc and making it close to the work area.

The shed I built in 2013 is around the back of the house and is used as a storage area for garden tools etc, etc. This shed was also in a bit of a mess so I have sorted it as well which has means I am able to get my bicycle in and out without falling over stuff and breaking my neck.

Unknown said...

Is that really the same shed? ;)

Alden Smith said...

Yes the same shed Charlotte. I think the camera lens makes it look bigger than it really is - although that said it did 'feel' twice the size once I had cleaned and tidied everything : > )