Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The Starling Project - Part 41

Every sailing dinghy requires a beach trolley. When I bought the Starling she came with a trolley but  the wheels and axles were in bad shape and I had to replace them. The story of replacing them is somewhat convoluted. I first bought some cheaply priced bits and pieces from a local second hand shop to fix the beach trolley but the solid rubber on the wheels proved to be useless. The weight of the dinghy compressed the solid (foam rubber?) tyres completely out of shape making it impossible to move the trolley (Nothing is easy in this restoration marlarky; that's the truth shipmates! )

Two galvanised bolts to use as axles cost me $3. Two cheap wheels were $24 each, two quality replacement wheels with inflatable tubes in them cost $40 each. Six securing bolts and a handful of washers cost around $10 and I destroyed one drill bit drilling 6 holes for the securing bolts. The first repair was pretty straight forward and it didn't take long to get it all fixed up. The second attempt with the new more expensive wheels took a bit longer as they didn't quite fit. They are slightly wider and I had to cut a couple of centimetres from each end of the axle crossbeam on the trolley with a hacksaw. But all was not lost ( I didn't lose my temper! LOL and the old wheels will be Ok for a trolley of sorts for grandson Zane).

This is the first attempt at fixing the wheels and axles. 

Here she is sitting on the almost completed trolley. I didn't realise at this point in the proceedings that I would be back the next day with yet another new set of wheels. The Starling and its beach trolley will be transported on the flat deck of the new dedicated boat trailer (Below) .

This is the new boat trailer. It is only 1.35 metres wide. The trailer is light weight and easily moved around when it's unhitched from the car. It stows neatly between the carport and the fence. The Starling, sitting on its beach trolley sits on top of the flat deck. The Starling is launched into the water on its beach trolley so there is no need for the flat deck trailer to ever go into the water. This photo was taken on the delivery trip back from Auckland. I have since fitted a jockey wheel at the front of the trailer.


Dan Gurney said...

The trolly/trailer arrangement is the best way to go, especially for launching in salt water. I don't like dunking trailers into briny water.

Whenever I do a project like this I run into unforeseen problems that make it take at least twice as long as I anticipated at the outset. Even when I double the time I think I'll need to complete project, I still find myself finishing up later than planned. Good for you that you didn't lose your temper!

How much does the Starling weigh? Enough, obviously, to require pneumatic tires.

Alden Smith said...

Dan, you are absolutely correct about the unforeseen problems and the time factor.

When I was building 'Mariner' I used to divide the time into three parts (and then some) - One third of the time was spent figuring out how to do the job - one third was spent running around finding / purchasing the parts I required and one third of the time was actually physically doing the job.

On small projects like this Starling renovation I don't spend much time trying to figure out how to do things but you are quite correct, things always takes twice, or more than twice as long to complete than I ever estimate.

I haven't weighed the Starling yet. That will be an interesting exercise. When I read your question about the weight I had visions of trying to balance the little boat on the bathroom scales LOL LOL !!

Ben said...

Nice set of wheels. The day of launching is coming closer I reckon.

Alden Smith said...

Yes, launching day is getting closer alright - shouldn't be too much longer.

Charlotte Hawkins said...

Looks good dad - your so clever!

Charlotte Hawkins said...

Looks good Dad!!

Alden Smith said...

Thank you Charlotte. I am of course extremely clever, look at the beautiful daughter your mother and I produced!