This is the aft part of the deck showing the underside of the plywood. I have painted this with a good undercoat paint leaving bare strips of plywood for where glue is required to adhere the ply to the deck beams.
The deck is now glued and nailed with silicon bronze nails. The nails have been countersunk with a nail punch and filled with mahogany wood filler. I was able to strategically place the cardboard deck patterns that I had made of the deck on a large sheet of Maranti marine plywood in such a way that I only have deck joins on either side of the forward ends of the cockpit. I hope I am able to sand out all the marks and stains so that I am able to varnish the deck. Time will tell.
I know I have turned a corner now, but wish I felt it as well. I think I feel like this because I am not looking forward to the amount of sanding that I have to do. Sanding is a job I don't like very much, whether it is hand or machine sanding.
At this stage I am still undecided as to whether to fiberglass the hull or not - And I wish that I had a proper workshop to work it, it's freezing weather and if I'm not tripping over stuff, I am out buying stuff that I know I already have but can't find amongst the clutter of a shed the size of a matchbox. Bugger it.
...but she's looking good.. :-)
Yep, she is. Thanks Steve for the encouragement. When I have made some new splash boards, fitted rubbing strakes and some cockpit trim, that will be the end of the woodwork. Then its the filling / painting / varnishing and hardware fitting stage. Doesn't seem too daunting if I say it all very quickly LOL!
I feel your pain about both working in the elements and not being able to find tools you know you have!
Thank you for your empathizing! - It's not existential pain, so I am surely able to get over myself when the weather improves LOL.
Post a Comment