Monday, April 9, 2012

Beneath The Surface

Any Blogger knows this: - In the list of Posts that appear under the 'Edit Posts' tab there are always a few Posts that have never been published - they represent all sorts of things - ideas half formed / formulated or a great photograph awaiting an idea. I have 8 or more such unpublished photos / ideas in my list of over 200 published postings.

The fact of having things abiding their time in the background reminds me of books that I have bought over the years. Usually I read pretty much straight away the books that I have purchased locally or have winged their way over the Pacific from Amazon Dot Com, but sometimes I don't. Sometimes I put a book aside and pick it up later. It can be many years later that the book that was put aside unread will sometimes almost literally leap out from the bookshelf and asks quite assertively to be read and often comes at an opportune and important moment.

I am also reminded of some ideas of C G Jung, when he said that there is something sun like about our existence. He used this metaphor to describe our lives - the sun rises from the sea, we also are born and rise from the collective unconscious of our ancestors - we rise, as does the sun to our fullness / zenith at midday and then proceed sun like towards the setting of our life as we plunge into the great unconscious? mystery of death.

There is nothing really unusual about this metaphor, it is similar to the idea of seasons - The vibrant green of Spring is our youth, the yellow of sunny Summer our early adult hood, the red and gold of Autumn the season before the dark Winter of our lives. Jung wrote about certain journeys we need to take along this path, things we need to learn, experiences we are required to have on the road to Individuation, or the fullness of all that we could become. He stated that our potential is not something that accumulates as we live, rather, who we can become is there in its fullness when we are born - and that by taking lifes journeys with courage this fullness unfolds like a flower in sunlight. He said that journeys that aren't undertaken earlier on the road reappear later coaxing us to listen to the call. These are journeys that call us to learn, grow and face the responsibilities of being a connected human being. I guess they lie like draft copies of unposted blog stories waiting to be lived out.
.

9 comments:

Kate said...

A great way of thinking about it. (Life, the universe and everything)

I like to also include courage and drive in there somewhere. Sometimes we are faced with things that are not easy.
Like making out the letters of WV... sigh.

Alden Smith said...

Only an artist would ponder WV - its your cubist instincts - If you turn WV upside down it becomes 3 mountains, stand them on end and you have a suspension spring - swop them around and make a space and you have an acronym for a V W car.
I agree, courage and drive are part of the picture, they help to separate out the freewill and predestination bit, not unlike sorting out a whole large book of continuous WVs.

Kate said...

Er.. actually, I meant WV, as in Word Verification... :-)

Alden Smith said...

Well it's fortuitous that I was commenting on something that didn't exist because the definition of cubism that I used doesn't exist either - I got that totally wrong didn't I.

It has now filtered through to my huge brain cavity, made up largely of air what you are on about - yes of course WV! -- A good metaphor for life - the implication being that often we need to look closely (Beneath The Surface) to see clearly. Of course life would be a whole easier if people didn't use acronyms!!! It ConfusesTFOOSP it really does.

I shall have to do a blogpost on WV - I can see that now.

Ben said...

The picture indicates to me that everything in nature is very well organized and beautiful. It knows the Fibonacci sequence and the golden ratio.

By the way word verification is getting more and more difficult

Alden Smith said...

Ben, I too thought of Fibonacci numbers when I looked at this picture. The beauty and symmetry of creation is used by 'Creationist' in their theological arguments as evidence for the existence of a creator god. What do you think?

Alden Smith said...

..... and yes Word Verification IS getting more difficult, which is curious because no matter how hard or easy the letters a person still has to type them - something no automatic hacking software can do.

Ben said...

Not being a religious man myself, I do not look for evidence for the existence of a god. I think that things are well organized in nature to be able to survive. Take for instance the double helix in DNA structure. It is well organized but not perfect and in fact the imperfection makes adaptation possible. And in a different way, nature is chaos when looked at it from a very far distance.

Alden Smith said...

Ben, thanks for your comment. I am not sure I believe in a personal god, in the conventional Christian sense - but I do believe the Universe has an ultimate purpose and a meaning - what that is I am not sure.