Sunday, September 4, 2016

___________________ SWEDISH STORFIDRA 25 'VINDIL' __________________

Whangarei, New Zealand, is a great place for the sailing aficionado. In a good season over 400 yachts visit Northland. They voyage south to avoid the Hurricane season and to take a break from the tropical heat. Most clear customs at Opua a little further north of Whangarei in the Bay of Islands. Many yachts then come south to Whangarei to make use of the many very good facilities to haul out and refit. This influx of yachts pumps more than $25 million into the local economy.

So many yachts come through Whangarei that I have to make sure I don't become a bit blase or take for granted the wonderful changing parade of interesting and fascinating boats that I am able to view only five minutes away from my backdoor. So spoiled for choice am I that I find only the unusual and quirky take my eye and prompt my interest and comment. This yacht 'Vindal' which based on my internet searches I strongly suspect is a Swedish 'Storfidra 25' design is such a boat.

The uncommon rounded gunwales (hints of lifeboats) reminds me of John Guzzwells', Giles designed  'Trekka', the Uffa Fox designed trailerable 'Atalanta' design and L. Francis Herreshoffs three masted schooner 'Marco Polo' design - all have this feature incorporated in the design.

In a small yacht this treatment of the gunwales reduces useful deck area but provides much useful additional internal volume (including headroom) without raising the topsides to any unsightly degree. Another effect of obtaining internal volume in this manner is that a big beam to length ration does not have to be relied on to do this, making for a slenderer, swifter and more seaworthy hull.

2 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

A handsome yacht, indeed. It's a privilege to live so close to a harbor visited by world-class sailors.

Alden Smith said...

Dan, it really is a privilege to live where we do - I feel that keenly. But I must say your neck of the woods looks good also - with many areas accessible for exploring in your kayak and some good tramping areas.