Wednesday, January 21, 2015

BIG RED





BIG RED is the name affectionately given to STEINLAGER 2, the 1989 - 90 Whitbread Around the World Yacht Race Winner skippered by our very own New Zealander, the late, much admired and respected Sir Peter Blake.

Click on the photos to enlarge them. I have to say that she looks pretty awesome.

She is now owned by the New Zealand Sailing Trust Board.

I am going sailing on her this Monday 26th January, which is Auckland Anniversary Regatta Day. Which means Shipmates, I get to feel the sheer power and majesty of this ocean racing thoroughbred...... and a bonus will be that I will be able to look at all the other hundreds and hundreds of yachts sailing on Waitemata Harbour - Yachtee Heaven really.  Needless to say; I can hardly wait!

4 comments:

Ben said...

Looks pretty spectacular for a 25 year old yacht.
Wauw. You are a lucky man. How did you manage to get this sail. I envy you. Early March you also will be able to see the new ones of the Volvo ocean race. Happy holiday on Auckland Anniversary Day.

Alden Smith said...

Thank you Ben for your Happy Holiday wishes.

Steinlager 2 is owned by a 'Trust' similar in its administration to the Trust that looks after the 'Ngataki'. It takes a lot of money to maintain, sail and moor these yachts. It is costing me $160 for the day. Money well spent? - Watch this Blog space and I shall let you know.

I am looking forward to seeing the Volvo ocean racers when they arrive - always worth a visit to the Viaduct Basin in Auckland to see them.

Ben said...

On pictures I saw that we had our last dinner in New Zealand almost 2 years ago across from the mooring place of the Big Red. Have fun on Monday.

Alden Smith said...

Ok Ben, so you will know exactly where I will be boarding this huge red monster. I will do a post on how it all went :>).