Tuesday, March 1, 2016

__________________________ CAT BOATS (4) ___________________________



I am very fussy about what I like in the way of a Cat Boats looks. I don't like the look of some Cat Boats at all. This 22 foot Arey's Pond Cat Boat ticks all the boxes for me. I think the proportions are just right, the profile is great and she looks good from all angles which from my point of view is an important feature. Also she is not too beamy. Catboats have work boat origins and they were often used for fishing and dredging for shellfish. Their great beam not only provided a stable work platform it also gave the boat stability when sailing. But when the beam of some catboats approaches half, or more than half their overall length they start to look somewhat like a squashed circle.

To my eyes this 22' Arey's Pond Cat boat is one of the nicest looking on the Cat walk.


2 comments:

Bursledon Blogger said...

Any of these catboats would be perfect for pottering around Chichester harbour. Great for pottering, bit of fishing, picnic lunch, afternoon snooze anchored in the shallows with the board up away from everyone else - perfect

Alden Smith said...

Yep, couldn't agree more Max. Small centreboard yachts open up the shallows for exploration. A Catboat brings absolute simplicity to the pottering around.