Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Starling Project - Part 21

Today I had some much needed help from my brother Tony who held the cockpit floor battens in place while I fastened them from beneath the hull with brass wood screws. To do this I had to lie on the concrete floor and drill pilot holes with the electric drill, then drive the screws home manually with a screw driver - a very cold job until I got a couple of layers of cardboard to lie on to keep the the cold at bay.

Renovating a boat is a very good metaphor for life in general. Nothing ever goes exactly as you have planned it. I am only 90% satisfied with this little job as inevitably some things went wrong. But 90% is a reasonable percentage. A couple of times when I was building my yacht 'Mariner' I had to completely rip the work out and start again.

The next job is to put the plywood deck on.


No comments: