Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Starling Project - Part 13

The first bottom plank goes on. Despite my careful cutting of the cardboard pattern for the plywood planks,  I still had to fiddle around a bit especially along the line of the keel where I had to plane the correct angle onto the face of the ply. Fastening over 100 screws manually with a screwdriver sorely tested my two year out, post-op physical fitness in the chest area. No problems so far.

Taking on a project and actually building or repairing something is a good antidote to over zealous fantasies about what one might like to get involved in. Tomorrow, on goes the opposite bottom plank; that's if the cold, stormy cold front that's traveling up the length of New Zealand doesn't intervene making the carport uninhabitable - I badly need a decent workshop shipmates, sooner rather than later.

4 comments:

Bursledon Blogger said...

Could be worse, I had to heat the epoxy to get it to pour out of the tin back in January.

Seems like you're making good progress.

Alden Smith said...

Yes, you are right, the temperatures at the moment are ok and I do have a roof over the project to keep the rain off, so I am thankful for small mercies - but a workshop with a bench with a couple of vices and machinery set up would be nice to have. But one gets used to ones destiny - I built my 30' yacht 'Mariner' 35 years ago outside under a tarpaulin! yikes! can't imagine doing that now.

Ben said...

May be it is an idea to ask from Santa Claus an electric screw driver.

Alden Smith said...

Yes, an electric screwdriver would be very useful - I shall write a letter to Sinterklaas en Zwarte Piet immediately!