Sunday, December 10, 2017

_______________________ A WHITE CHRISTMAS ? _______________________

Our daughter sent us this photograph today from Cambridge England. This view is so familiar to us (minus the snow) as we looked out every morning onto it during our recent two month sojourn there. Now it looks like the UK may be in for a white Christmas. Whatever the weather, one thing I know is that England has central heating and double glazing sussed! Any sortie outside to make snowballs and snowmen will be greeted on return with ample warmth and good cheer.

For some reason this photograph reminded me of a story written by the late Maurice Griffiths, yacht designer and long time editor of the UK magazine 'Yachting Monthly'. He had harboured for a number of years an ambition to spend Christmas day on board his small cruising yacht, which he did; in conditions not dissimilar to the above photograph. I must dig out the story - I can't remember whether or not he rowed out to his boat or simply walked across the ice - yikes!!


4 comments:

Ben said...

Not so far away, from your perspective, in the Netherlands we had 6 hours consecutive snow. Late Sunday afternoon a nice walk in the snow and there is speedskating on the TV. Winter has begun. Now some sun and ice on the canals and life is perfect. Predictions say otherwise, however, but my mates and I stay hopeful.

Alden Smith said...

Does this mean that you and your mates will be skating the Elfstedentocht? I hope so, send me the photos!!

Ben said...

There are many acorns this year, so it could just be a severe winter. Regarding the eleven cities tour I could probably do half of it. Time takes its toll.

Alden Smith said...

Doing half the race at our age would be an achievement. I could do the start but then would need to find a nice little pub to sit down in and have a pint of Guinness and a 'Nana nap' LOL.