AN ECLECTIC COLLECTION OF IDEAS OPINIONS AND INTERESTS
Tuesday, October 13, 2015
The Starling Project - Part 40
The first job after the glue had cured was to clean off the excess glue and smooth the surfaces with a wood plane.
I used a wood plane, surform plane (green handle top right) and sandpaper to shape the tiller. The original square section has been retained on the right hand end. This end goes into the rudder stock. The tiller has then been tapered on the bottom face towards the left hand end.
The tiller is now ready for final fitting to the rudder stock, the drilling of fastening holes, varnishing and the making, fitting and bolting on of the tiller extension.
This evening I went to the Onerahi Yacht Club and watched their racing programme in operation. Here are a couple of the Starling Class yachts enjoying an evening sail. I talked to some of the skippers before they launched - it gave me a good boost and a determination to keep the rebuild momentum going.