Wednesday, January 17, 2018

_________________________ RACE READY ____________________________

 'Slipstream' is now race ready. The work I have completed on her includes:

- Raising the splashboards to the regulation minimum 65cm height including new varnished trim.
- Fitting varnished wooden trim around the cockpit perimeter.
- Lengthening the cockpit floor slates to the regulation lengths. This will also help to strengthen the hull and help it hold its shape.
- Painting the deck and cockpit, including non skid paint on the cockpit floor and on the hiking area of the deck.
- Fitting two new Anderson self bailers in the cockpit floor.
- Having a 'D' ring sewn into the stern end of the hiking straps allowing them to now be adjustable.
- Removing the laminated crossbeam with its heavy traveller and car and replaced it with a simple adjustable rope system.

 New Anderson bailers.

 Stainless steel 'D' ring.


 Simple light weight adjustable main sheet track.

Non skid areas on both side decks and cockpit floor will keep me from slipping and sliding.

 Fresh and bright varnished trim helps break up the paint job.

On Tuesday evening racing begins again at the Onerahi Yacht Club, so I will pop 'Slipstream' on the road trailer and head off for some sailing training - The Zephyr Nationals in Wellington are only four weeks away! Yikes!


4 comments:

Ben said...

Go for it Alden!

Alden Smith said...

Thanks Ben, I will give it my best shot!

Mark The Skint Sailor said...

Wow Alden, I'm impressed. She looks very purposeful and that varnished trim looks very classy.

If you don't win, at least you'll look good.

Best of luck with the racing.

Alden Smith said...

Thanks Mark. I am happy with the way the work on the boat has turned out, much better than I expected.

We all have dreams of winning (and I will be trying hard out) but a realistic aim for me is to finish in the top half of the fleet.