Sunday, February 19, 2017

______________ WHO SAYS THE CAMERA DOESN'T LIE? _______________

Yes, yes, yes, yes I know shipmates....... more photos of Zephyrs........ but, come here, yep that's right, come a little closer, no... closer than that.. now take a good look at these two photos and tell me what's missing.... be honest with yourself, don't read anymore of the text..... just look at the two photographs and tell me what's missing in one of the photos.

I shot these photographs at Worser Bay Yacht Club in Wellington when I was picking up 'Slipstream'. While at the club I witnessed the launching of this brand spanking new fiberglass Zephyr by its very, very happy skipper and watched his new Zephyr #603 go for its maiden voyage on a lazy sparkling Wellington harbour.

Now shipmates, did you look and compare the two photographs?........... Ok now..... tell me - Where is the sail number 603 in the second photograph? ...... and no, absolutely no, I have not photoshopped it out (I don't even have any photoshoppy thingy software on my computer, and wouldn't know how to work it even if I did).

My camera is telling me that when Zephyr sailing dinghies steer in a Northerly direction on Wellington Harbour their sail numbers simply disappear! Yikes! - Bloody Hell Yikes even!

Now call me old fashioned and fill my pockets with triple nipple back shackles if I haven't just discovered a mystery of the same epic proportions as the Lochness Monster and the Bermuda Triangle right here in Gods own country........ Shipmates I rest my case.

2 comments:

Paul Mullings said...

Ha ha, a trick of the light perhaps? I think if you zoom right in on the forth panel you can just make out a black smudge on the starboard side of the sail!

Alden Smith said...

The key I think is to look at the position of the red Zephyr insignia in the first photo and compare it with its position in the second. In the second the insignia is not only at the back leech end of the sail, it has its tail end cut off.

I think the effect with the sail numbers is similar to first standing facing a fence with a picture / words / numbers etc written on it. If you then walk to either end of the fence and look along the face of the fence - as you move from your original position the more the picture / words / numbers etc will disappear - its a purely visual effect that happens when you view something from an oblique angle. If you stood at the very end of a kilometer long fence and took a photograph the fence would appear very short indeed and anything written or displayed on the fence would not register in the photograph.