Monday, March 30, 2015

______________________ IT'S A SMALL WORLD ______________________


This photograph (Above) is from the Blog of 'Bursledon Blogger' in the UK, who recently blogged about this boat which is currently berthed close by.    http://bursledonblog.blogspot.co.nz/  

I was immediately interested because I recognized the design instantly. There are currently two identical boats to this design currently berthed in Whangarei. Coincidentally the other day while on one of my regular walks I watched one of them go under our new lifting bridge.


These designs are interesting because the two boats in Whangarei have crossed the Pacific to be here in New Zealand. I must go down and find out exactly where their respective home ports are. I am assuming that they are voyaging together. The hull design is long and lean making their voyaging relatively economical. I am sure there is more to this story, so now that my curiosity has been caught I will try and find out more.


8 comments:

Bursledon Blogger said...

Alden as you say economical cruising is relative, I'm guessing these ships don't come cheap, our local one is registered in Guernsey home to many a millionaire .

By contrast we met a guy from down your way in Antigua, he was circumnavigating in a home built 45 steel motor boat, I forget what engine he had but was big and slooow running.

Alden Smith said...

Yes, you are quite right. Though these boats are 'relatively' cheap to run, that relativity may very well bankrupt some people - and building in aluminium would not be cheap. No doubt the tax status of living in Guernsey would help with the running costs.
If I wanted to circumnavigate in a motor boat I would have to have an engine that operated at one RPM LOL!!

Cro Magnon said...

With that rear platform it looks as if it may have been used for diving. Very classy looking, regardless; so much more so than those modern gin palaces one sees parked at Monte Carlo.

Unknown said...

Sorry, my comment has nothing to do with the (admittedly beautiful) boat.
I just wanted to moan that i now have "It's a small world after all" in my head! Sung in Zazu's voice from the Lion King haha :) x

Alden Smith said...

Yes Cro, well put - she is classy in a very functional way. Boats built like this (functionality as expressed in her unpainted aluminium hull) aren't usually ego extension gin palaces, they are made for going places and doing things.

Alden Smith said...

Ah, The Lion King - since seeing that video I have always thought 'Simba' would be a great name for a little yacht.

UD, I looked at your g+ site - Undomestic????? I have never seen such a nice arrangement of Domesticity since Apple Pie Crumble With Ice Cream was invented on the 3rd of March 1857.

Don said...

Pop round to Circa Marine in Whangarei and you will find the Dashew long range cruisers being built. I believe many of them have been built by the folks at Circa.

Alden Smith said...

Thank you for that suggestion Don, I will do just that - I did not know that Circa Marine were building in aluminum - would be great to see one in progress.