Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Shiver Me Timbers Shipmates If It Isn't - Sea Fever (Again)

Painting by Claude Monet
Shipmates, if I've posted this poem before I give you permission to whack me with a teak belaying pin; but in defence I think some things bear repeating.

Sea Fever
By John Masefield 
I must go down to the seas again, 
to the lonely sea and the sky, 
And all I ask is a tall ship 
and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel's kick and the wind's 
song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face,
 and a grey dawn breaking,

I must go down to the seas again,
 for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear 
call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day 
with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown 
spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must go down to the seas again, 
to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way 
where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from
 a laughing fellow-rover,
And a quiet sleep and a sweet dream
 when the long trick's over.

No comments: