Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Eva Cassidy - Fields Of Gold



This isn't a Kiwi song but that doesn't matter it is worth a place in my pantheon of great songs. There are other songs of hers on utube to be listened to but this is one of the best. She also does a good rendition of Louis Armstrongs 'What A Wonderful World'.

This is perhaps one of the most wonderfully beautiful voices - It is Eva Cassidy singing Stings song "Fields of Gold" - Many, many people commenting on this song on Utube say that they want it played at their funeral. I would like it to be sung at mine.

There are two curious (to me) and sobering facts about Eva Cassidy. The first is that my life embraces this young life - I was born in 1951 - her life was (1963 - 1996) and it is now nearly 2012 - That fact I find, curious, sobering and somewhat intolerable. The second is that there are many young, talented and short lived lives among us - If each of us is a spark from a huge bonfire, some burn high and incandescently bright, high up by the stars. Then in a twinkling of the eye they are gone - Eva was such a one - and the world is richer for her life and poorer for her death.

One commentator stated:

" I just discovered this brilliant woman. I'm sad to learn she died in 1996 of cancer and the world discovered her talent after her death. I'm not a man who easily becomes emotional, especially when listening to songs but, there's something in this woman's voice and her selection of songs that melts me and I find myself a bit choked up. I thought I was emotionally numb to this world until I heard this woman sing. Thank you Eva Cassidy. I wish I knew of you before"

Like many people I have understood that music exposes our souls to meaning, a meaning that goes beyond ordinary language - if it is a gift to reveal this meaning, with a naked flame that scorches the heart and soul, then Eva Cassidy certainly had that gift.

"Eva Marie Cassidy (February 2, 1963 November 2, 1996) was an American vocalist known for her interpretations of jazz, blues, folk, gospel, country and pop classics. In 1992 she released her first album, The Other Side, a set of duets with go-go musician Chuck Brown, followed by a live solo album, Live at Blues Alley in 1996. Although she had been honored by the Washington Area Music Association, she was virtually unknown outside her native Washington, DC when she died of melanoma in 1996." z
.

9 comments:

Delwyn said...

I have just enjoyed fields of gold before retiring...it is a beautiful crystal song...just wonderful

Alden said...

Yes, it is wonderful. I feel the authority and timbre of her voice allows feelings such as the transcendence of love to be born and live and breathe and have existence in our world.

Janice said...

I wonder, sometimes, if some people know they are going to die young. Jeff Buckley's Halleluia gives me that same feeling of an ethereal, tenuous connection, somewhere between here and wherever it is that we go when we die.

VenDr said...

Yes. A great song, and one that I have a particular reason to mist up over. Many years ago there was a Morris 8 sports and a golden nor' west day and a girl and a field of ripening wheat somewhere near a river in North Canterbury.Aaahhh.... memories....
Played at my funeral? Perhaps they'd better not.

VenDr said...

This song is on her Album Songbird along with, among other things, a nice cover of Paul Simon's American Tune

Alden Smith said...

Yes Janice, I know what you mean about Halleluia - its very good indeed. :>)

Alden Smith said...

Yes, memories!

I have her Songbird CD but it doesn't have 'American Tune' on it - pity, as that is a great song - maybe its on another edition of the CD.

VenDr said...

Well how about that! My itunes collection contains only one Eva Cassidy Album. It is called Songbird but contains what I now realise is a totally random aggregation of tracks. Can't now recall where I got it from though possibly from a dodgy Russian site, when, some years ago, I was looking for a nice version of Fields of Gold to embed in an email to the other party to the Morris 8 incident whom I had since married.

Alden Smith said...

The little paper insert in my Songbird CD shows photos of 7 other Eva Cassidy CDs - One of them is called 'American Tune' which is where the song ATune will be - but there is also a comment that says - "Some of the Songbird tracks may vary..... " and goes onto explain something that is a bit hard to understand - so maybe various editions over time of Songbird contained not just different recordings of various tracks, but different songs as well. - I will try and get the American Tune CD, I like that song a lot.