Painting by Alexander Smith ©

Sunday, April 17, 2011

BEANNACHT (IRISH BLESSING)


Here is another Irish blessing - there seems to be many of them.
This is a particularly beautiful contemporary one by the poet
John O'Donohue

BEANNACHT (BLESSING) - John O'Donohue
On the day when
the weight deadens
on your shoulders
and you stumble,
may the clay dance
to balance you.

And when your eyes
freeze behind
the grey window
and the ghost of loss
gets in to you,
may a flock of colours,
indigo, red, green,
and azure blue
come to awaken in you
a meadow of delight.

When the canvas frays
in the currach of thought
and a stain of ocean
blackens beneath you,
may there come across the waters
a path of yellow moonlight
to bring you safely home.

May the nourishment of the earth be yours,
may the clarity of light be yours,
may the fluency of the ocean be yours,
may the protection of the ancestors be yours.
And so may a slow
wind work these words
of love around you,
an invisible cloak
to mind your life.



7 comments:

Katherine said...

THat is REALLY LOVELY. I am sitting here, having just watched/ listened to the youTube version, very moved.
Thank you.

Alden Smith said...

I discovered this in a roundabout way after listening to the poet David Whyte on Kelvins Blog 'Available Light' - I recommend you take a listen to the poem there - it is very good indeed.

Katherine said...

Yes. I already have. Isn't it funny the places that you can go on the internet?

Alden Smith said...

Yes, the path that the internet can take you is a bit like a mind map isn't it - a growing web of interrelated interests and ideas

Susanna Originals said...

That poem spoke to my heart and I thank you so much for sharing it. I hope that you don't mind that I stole it for my blog, with a link and credit to yours.
Susan

Alden Smith said...

Susanna ---- as I commented on your blog -- " Whatever the basis, be it Irish blarney or overcoming adversity with a great gust of hyperbole, its very beautiful to read - thank you for helping to spread a little bit of Ireland with the rest of the world Susanna."

Ben said...

Yes, Ireland we did not travel through, but we experienced it in the past. The poem with the pictures give a very pleasant tranquil feeling that makes me longing to go back. Some places in New Zealand made the same impression on me. Listening to the Irish accent is even better than reading.