Wednesday, March 31, 2010

HAIKU

I got up very early this morning and went out to the letterbox to get the newpaper. As I turned to go back inside I saw this moon - hence the photograph.

I have two little books of Haiku. What strikes me about the Haiku I read in them is the great frequency in which the moon appears - this from a country (Japan) that has the rising sun on its national flag.

Haiku need to be read in a particular way - ".....For the Haiku does not make a complete poem in our usual sense; it is a lightly - sketched picture the reader is expected to fill in from his own memories. Often there are two pictures, and the reader is expected to respond with heightened awareness of the mystical relationship between non - related subjects."

EXPERIMENTING...
I HUNG THE MOON
ON VARIOUS
BRANCHES OF THE PINE

Hokushi


 

6 comments:

Delwyn said...

Well there are rewards to getting up early sometimes...

I loved the haiku once again...you are having a haiku binge...wonderful

Happy days

Alden Smith said...

I have two books of Haikus - Images that repeat regularly are the moon, grasshoppers and fleas - I have no idea what this means.

Delwyn said...

well I can tell that a flea got up your nose this morning at the thought of Bilbies taking over easter rituals...the moon of course dictates Easter and the grasshoppers well we have already considered them as the next chocolate treats so I think what all this is leading to is that the ancient haiku masters only had one thing on their minds...easter!

Happy easter

Janice said...

Eternal these three:
grasshoppers, the moon, and fleas,
puzzling you, and me.

Alden Smith said...

Delwyn, Basho (1644-1694) would be proud of the way you have juxtaposed Easter with Zen Buddhism - its very much within the spirit of the Haiku tradition.

The place of the Flea though is still uncertain, although maybe the Haiku masters revered the flea as another sentient being with the potential for enlightenment - Or maybe the central place of the flea says something about medieval sanitation and plumbing.

Alden Smith said...

Janice. Thankyou for your clever Haiku you have inspired me with your first line:

JUMPING LESSONS HAIKU

Grasshoppers, the moon, and fleas,
But it will take a cow,
To show them how.