Monday, December 21, 2009

Poem For Charlotte


My Daughter Charlotte And I Decorated The Christmas Tree Today

Only a daughter knows just what you mean,
Couldn't care less if your life's on a lean,
Keeps all your secrets, knows about fate ---
Only a daughter who's great.
Only a daughter will smile at your quirks,
Helps and approves, shares a dessert,
Not say a word (sometimes) unless asked for advice---
Only a daughter who's nice.
Only a daughter will cover your butt,
Stand up for your rights, tell you what's what,
Offer a thoughtful and smart point of view,
Be the one person who keeps coming through,
Someone you just gotta love (and I do!!)
Only a daughter like you
Merry Christmas, dear daughter to you.

.

6 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

Nice poem, one line north of a sonnet! And it rhymes to boot. Charlotte's gotta be pleased with that. I've tried my hand at writing poetry enough to stand in admiration of your ability!

Alden Smith said...

Well this poem is not my own Dan, I found it on the internet, although I have changed about every other line of it - I couldn't find the author although its supposed to be a well known poem - Have a merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Janice said...

Just want to wish you a Merry Christmas, Alden, and a New Year full of great blogs! You rock!

Anonymous said...

Makes me wish I had a daughter - I have sons... but they can be lovely too.

Happy Christmas

Lucy

Alden Smith said...

Thankyou Janice for that nice comment. Telling me I rock, makes me feel like a pop star... maybe I will start a band 'Alden and the Alligators' - I will be lead singer, leather pants, rampant guitar, colossal hair dyed the colour of the sea (alligator shoes of course) and you Janice can choose your look and musical instrument (or you might just like to be a go-go dancer) let me know please. :-)

Alden Smith said...

Lucy, I have sons too, and yes they can be lovely - (amongst other things! ) A merry christmas and a happy new year to you too.
:-)