Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Land of the Long High Dijke


This photo was taken from the dijke - behind me and level with me was the North Sea - when the dijkes broke in Zeeland in 1953 most of this land and its houses were completely submerged.

I arrived home from the Netherlands today after a long flight from Schipol Airport Amsterdam - One of my last trips was to New Zealands namesake 'Zeeland' - The Maori name for New Zealand is Aotearoa which means 'The land of the long white cloud' - Zeeland would suit the Maori name for 'The land of the long high dijke'. --- I will post again soon about this pretty part of The Netherlands - for now its a good long sleep - tomorrow I will post again - my brain will be unclogged and I will be less inclined to write double dutch.

4 comments:

Delwyn said...

Welcome home my friend

I can't wait to hear more of your trip
Happy days

Dan Gurney said...

Ditto Delwyn.

VenDr said...

Welcome back.

Alden Smith said...

Thankyou for the welcome my good friends. It was a wrench to be parted from some of the most interesting and beautiful parts of Europe, but there was a warm wind blowing down the river this morning and Mariner winked at me - that's a good sign, it means she wants to go sailing, and so do I.