Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Song of Wandering Aengus - W.B.Yeats

........ And so continuing with my penchant for posting love poems that I really like [ if you like them, great; enjoy them and keep smiling - if you don't, tough, go suck a lemon (I mean that in a deeply caring way of course) ]...... I offer this well known favourite by W.B.Yeats

William Butler Yeats was both poet and playwright, a towering figure in 20th century literature in English, winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1923, a master of traditional verse forms and at the same time an idol of the modernist poets who followed him.
Yeats was always interested in mystical theories and images, the supernatural, the esoteric and the occult. As a young man, he studied the works of William Blake and Emmanuel Swedenborg, and was a member of the Theosophical Society and Golden Dawn. But his early poetry was modeled on Shelley and Spenser (e.g., his first published poem, “The Isle of Statues,” in The Dublin University Review) and drew on Irish folklore and mythology (as in his first full-length collection, The Wanderings of Oisin and Other Poems, 1889).


THE SONG OF WANDERING AENGUS

- W.B. Yeats

I WENT out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And someone called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done,
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.


.

9 comments:

Janice said...

Very nice, Alden, although I'm not sure the fire was in his head!

Alden said...

Janice, You are wise, insightful and obviously well experienced.

janice said...

Indeed, and here's another poem that pretty much sums it up!

Indian Summer

In youth, it was a way I had
To do my best to please,
And change, with every passing lad,
To suit his theories.

But now I know the things I know,
And do the things I do;
And if you do not like me so,
To hell, my love, with you!

Dorothy Parker

Alden said...

Very good poem Janice. The path of self actualisation means that we give up doing stuff to please others and do the things we require for our own growth, and while doing so, try not to do harm to others - there's a call and a challenge in all of that.

Anonymous said...

The amusing information

Anonymous said...

I agree with you

Anonymous said...

It is well told.

Anonymous said...

Bravo, magnificent idea and is duly


I can suggest to visit to you a site on which there is a lot of information on a theme interesting you. Hot Health

Anonymous said...

Song of Wandering Aengus is Yeats's assertion that humans will always be chasing what they never will acheive.

To see the Irish myth that Yeats used google Dream of Oengus.