Sunday, May 10, 2009

This Happens To Me All The Time (Syncronicity No 2)

Yesterday I emailed to a friend this photograph of a rainbow over Whangarei Harbour I had taken as I drove out to Ocean Beach.

I also emailed this photograph of my socks. I had been talking to my friend who is also a teacher about some of my socks which have animals on them and which create great humour amongst the children I teach.

My teacher friend told of a real love of rainbows and how they were of great importance because when a younger sister had passed away, some members of the family purchased prisms which they hung up to harvest the light; the ensuring rainbows being a kind of reminder, a tangible symbol - an honouring of her spirit, presence and importance - it was an act of love.
.
It was these thoughts of rainbows I was holding in my head when the email exchange had finished and I was moving from my computer to the living room to watch the last part of the 6pm news. It also occurred to me as I moved along the hallway that there was another connection to rainbows on my socks - 'Kermit' the frog himself and the song "Rainbow Connection."


As I pushed open the door to the living room the newsreader began a new, news item and started to tell how the charity 'Rainbow Youth' have benefited very well from the very recent 2009 'Dancing With The Stars' winners Tamati Coffey and Samantha Hitchcock who had raised a considerable amount of money for this their chosen charity. 'Rainbow Youth' is a charity that helps young people deal with sexuality and gender identity issues.
.
I find this a very interesting coincidence. All the links up to the point of the news item are causal i.e. they can be explained in terms of conscious or subconscious cause and effect - but the coincidence of the news item is in the realm of 'a'causality, or in terms of the Jungian world view 'Synchronicity' - I am quite at ease with Synchronicity - it happens to me all the time.
.
"Synchronicity is the experience of two or more events which are causally unrelated occurring together in a supposedly meaningful manner. In order to count as synchronicity, the events should be unlikely to occur together by chance.
.
The concept does not question, or compete with, the notion of causality. Instead, it maintains that just as events may be grouped by cause, they may also be grouped by their meaning. Since meaning is a complex mental construction, subject to conscious and subconscious influence, not every correlation in the grouping of events by meaning needs to have an explanation in terms of cause and effect.
.
The idea of synchronicity is that the conceptual relationship of minds, defined as the relationship between ideas, is intricately structured in its own logical way and gives rise to relationships that are not causal in nature. These relationships can manifest themselves as simultaneous occurrences that are meaningfully related—the cause and the effect occur together."
.
I find the occurrences of Synchronicity in my own life intriguing and strangely comforting. It is a curious and somewhat wondrous thing really - its presence echoes Hamlets words:
"And therefore as a stranger give it welcome. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
.
Synchronicity for me is somehow another of those tributaries such as wonder, enchantment, grace, luck, chance, magic and providence that all flow into that great river of mystery which is the source of our individual and inextricably interwoven collective lives.
.

18 comments:

Delwyn said...

Hi Alden
A lovely post.
I found it interesting your friends using the rainbow as a reminder of their lost one.
On the morning Jim's mother passed away I was driving Daughter #2 to school and there was the biggest rainbow I have ever seen right over the road. I said to D that it has come to take her grandmother to heaven.
On the day of the funeral in Masterton I got up early and walked around a corner into a rainbow over the whole of the Wairarapa. We drove up to Auckland to fly home and I glanced up at a paddock with a sign 'Land's end' and you've guessed it - another rainbow. So now whenever I see a rainbow I feel the link to M very strongly.

Happy Days
P.S. Kauai has many many rainbows - lots of rain too...

Alden said...

Delwyn, that is a very nice story. I have been at two funerals where the coffin was followed all the way to the gravesite by fantails (birds). This was noticed by many and gave a strange sort of comfort to them - life is indeed strange - but we shouldn't be surprised, we seen and hear within a certain range of light spectrum and sound decibel range - so why do we think we know the full range of reality - ah we all have a lot to learn.

Janice said...

I love those froggy socks, Alden; do you have any with rainbows on? Speaking of rainbows reminds me of that beautiful child who plays Nullah in the movie 'Australia'; I have fallen completely in love with him, bought the movie so I could watch his magical self over and over. He completely steals the film, and he does talk about the 'rainbow serpent', whatever that is. Also there is Julie Garland singing 'Somewhere over the rainbow' That enough synchronicity for you?

Alden said...

Janice, I don't have any socks with rainbows on them, but there is always a first time for everything.

I haven't seen the movie Australia but have heard some good comments about it and intend to go and take a look if it comes this way.

In the bible (I think I have this correct) - at the end of the metaphor of Noah and the Ark, God creates a rainbow which he says is a symbol and a promise that never again will he inundate and destroy the world with water.
- I have always thought this act was a pretty cynical thing on Gods part considering the fact that being omnipotent, he must have known that humans are quite capable of destroying it themselves without any divine intervention.

Janice said...

I have a beautiful pair of mitts qnd a hat knitted out of New Zealand wool in rainbow colours, and I will think of you whenever i wear them from now on. As for your lqst comment, all I can say is hear hear!

Alden said...

Janice, It warms my heart to know that:

'Somewhere in a foreign land there are some Merino woollen mitts and a hat that will be forever New Zealand'

Your challenge Janice should you wish to accept it is to find the poem that I stole that line from :-)

Anonymous said...

Alden, you tricky devil, and me in the middle of a move! I accept your challenge, and I will find that poem if it takes me thee rest of my life!

Janice said...

That wasn't supposed to be anonymous.

Alden said...

To be fair I have to tell you that you are not looking for those exact lines - you are looking for the rhyme, rythmn, cadence and beat of a particular well known poem, you are not looking for an exact quote - most of the words are my words, fitting somewhat like a hand into someone elses glove - yes I know that's completely fuddled the issue now hasn't it.

Janice said...

Is it The Soldier by Rupert Brooke?

Alden said...

Yes it is Rupert Brookes poem!! well done!
- You are 100% correct and may choose any prize you like of your own purchasing! Lucky you!!

Janice said...

Wonderful! I will go out and buy myself some kiwi fruit....

Alden said...

Excellent idea. Buy yourself a bottle of Tequila while you are there - I am not sure whether the two go together, so be sure to tell me how you get on!

Janice said...

Well Alden, I drank the tequila, and then I ate the Kiwi. I must say he protested very vigorously, he kept yelling "I'm straight, I'm sraight" but I chopped him into little pieces and ate every bite. I have to tell you that he did have wonderful posture, but he tasted like mutton, and I had to drink all the tequila in order to get him down. So thank you, I enjoyed my prize! Hic!

Janice said...

What, Alden, lost your sense of haha?
My gay friend laughed!

Alden said...

Janice! I have held off commenting on your utterly outrageous claims in solidarity with 500 million Kiwi Fruit who you have been insulted by your claim that one of them would have called out "I'm straight, I'm straight" - they, of all fruit know their stamens from their pistils and what to do with their said preference - these comments invade their fruity culture and casts such aspersions on their sexuality that it is tantamount to them calling all Canadian Mounties.... well lets leave it there shall we... humppff :-)

Janice said...

I'm sorry, it must have been the tequila that sent me over the lunatic edge! I really am very bad to have done it; I apologize to all the Kiwi fruit (my goodness, there are a lot of them!), and I shall never do it again. Pffffft!

Alden said...

I forwarded your apologies Janice. Their response was (all 500 million of them) that they thought that your apology was a bit limp wristed, which is why they liked it so much.