Saturday, May 23, 2009

Instructions For Life In The New Millennium From The Dalai Lama

This is what the Dalai Lama has to say on the millennium, all it takes is a few seconds to read and think about.

1 - Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.

2 - When you lose, don't lose the lesson.

3 - Follow the three R's: Respect for Self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.

4 - Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

5 - Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.

6 - Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.

7 - When you realise you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.

8 - Spend some time alone every day.

9 - Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values.

10 - Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.

11 - Live a good, honourable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.

12 - A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.

13 - In disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don't bring up the past.

14 - Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.

15 - Be gentle with the earth.

16 - Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

17 - Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.

18 - Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

19 - Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.

.

9 comments:

Delwyn said...

Alden

When I was counselling I established a practice of sending follow up letters to clients acknowledging their strengths, decisions, goals and so on - the letter writing is in itself a form of therapy.
The feedback I received from clients was amazing, they held onto those letters like lifelines pulling them out to read when ever they needed a boost or support.

So I was always collecting inspirational passages to add to the letters, and this was one of them...

Happy Days

Alden said...

There are all sorts of lists of lessons and teachings aren't there! - and what a nice thing to add to your correspondence with your clients.

I particularly like the Dalai Lamas list because its mixture of wisdom and seriousness is combined with playfulness and fun.

I smile when I read number 5 - "Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly" and I laugh when I read number 19 - "Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon."

- Small wonder people pay attention to what he is saying.

Dan Gurney said...

What a great list! I hadn't seen it before, or if I have, I don't remember seeing it. Because of its shifts from seriousness to playfulness, it reminds me a list Robert Fulgham wrote, "Everything I Ever Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" which is posted in my classroom.

Anonymous said...

I especially like numbers 6 and 7!

Janice said...

Shoot, I did it again! that last one was me.

Anonymous said...

Alden, on the occasion of your 58th birthday, I have written you a song, to be sung to the tune of Popeye the Sailor Man.

He's Alden the birthday man,
Got a bottle of hooch in his hand
He sails on the sea, and he writes stuff to me
He's Alden the birthday man.

He sails in a little white boat,
and he keeps his boat afloat
With the wind in his hair, he has not a care
He sails in his little white boat

Oh Alden's got frogs on his socks,
Stovepipe jeans and he really rocks
He plays with the kids and gets paid for it too
Oh Aldens got frogs on his socks.

Now Alden is wise and he's sage
He gives us advice on his page
He's smart and he's cool, and he's
nobody's fool
Now Alden is wise and he's sage.

I could go on and on, but I will end your suffering here. Happy Birthday Alden!!!

Janice said...

Oops, I did it again - I will take credit for that terrible song!

Alden said...

Janice, I am flattered and touched by your very original song. In fact I have decided to enter the 2010 Eurovision Song Contest and sing it - I have contacted my old friend Mick (Jagger) to see if he wants to provide the backing band (he probably will he's always pestering me about gigs).
Maybe I will enter myself on American Idol as well - hmmm maybe Crosby, Stills and Nash might like to play along - what do you think Janice? good idea? or am I putting myself in danger from all those screaming girl groupies who will want to rip my frog socks off ?

Janice said...

Well, Alden, I haven't heard you sing, so I don't know if we want to put you up against the likes of Susan Boyle and Adam Lambert. You are, shall we say, a little long in the tooth for American Idol, but Britain's Got Talent might be interested, as they don't seem to care about the age thing. Perhaps you could get Mick to speak to Simon Cowell about it, he's always looking for something fresh. Maybe you could send me a demo cd, and I could front it round if it's good enough.
Perhaps you'd have an avid audience amongst the kindergarten set, they'd love the reference to frogs on your socks, I'll bet! I'm sure the reference to hooch would be inappropriate, but I could rewrite the words, and somehow work 'pooch' in instead. Anyway, let me know how you get on with the cd, will you?