Monday, February 2, 2009

The Lake Isle of Innisfree

This poem has always been a favourite of mine right from when I first read it at primary school all those years ago. I particularly like these lines ............ " for peace comes dropping slow, Dropping from the veils of morning to where the cricket sings ".........
Innisfree is a lake in Ireland, but when I read this poem I think it could have been written especially for Henry Thoreau who spent those years living simply on the shores of his beloved Lake Walden on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean!
.
THE LAKE ISLE OF INNISFREE - W.B.Yeats

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:
Nine bean-rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee;
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.
.

4 comments:

Mr. Kinder said...

It was among my favorites, too. I first came across it as a sophomore in high school. I liked it for more pedestrian reasons: it was one of the few poems put in front of me that didn't seem completely opaque.

Alden said...

Yes you are correct. Its meaning is easily understood and accessible. Some poetry is sometimes more obscure and it takes more time for the meaning to disclose itself.

I like it for the direct way it sets an emotional tone and describes so well the lake and the sky. Like a lot of poetry it uses the natural world as a metaphor for the emotional tone and its associated ideas. I can almost hear the waters lapping, see the veils of morning dropping and feel the peace.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

You're right Aiden - of all the things we might have blogged about, we both chose this poem. For me - as I said in my commentary - it touches on that deep-seated human longing for simplicity and freedom.

Alden said...

Yes you are correct YP and I enjoyed reading your insights on this poem when you featured it on your blogspot.