Friday, January 23, 2009

The Cygnet Project - Part 2

The skipper contemplates the job ahead. Like most things in life all the complexities are dealt with by just putting one foot in front of the other and quietly and confidently taking one one step at a time.

Dark colours are not a good idea for wooden boats in Northland. It attracts the heat and this is the result if the boat is laid up outside for any period of time. White is a much better colour.

Thumbs up to a good sanding job. I then filled up as many cracks in the plywood that I could see, then sanded again. The bottom of the hull is now ready for the first coat of undercoat paint.

I didn't machine sand the deck and cockpit. The varnish on the decks was in reasonably good condition so I just gave it a good sand by hand. The blue paint in the cockpit will be changed to a soft grey.

This is the first of a number of undercoats the hull will need. The paint shows up cracks in the plywood that I have missed, so I will fill, sand lightly and repaint a couple more times until there is a nice smooth undercoated surface.

The first uncoat is completed, but there is much more work to do. The final finishing coat will be white or 'Polar White' as it says on the can of paint. Polar White with varnished decks - If my memory serves me well that was the paint scheme of this little ships namesake - the original gallant little 'Cygnet'. All this restoration is going smoothly at this stage and is a real pleasure to be involved in - where to next? - I'll keep you posted. :-)


12 comments:

Katherine said...

Ooo, lovely! She will look very classy!

Alden said...

Yes she will, she will look 'P' Classy, because that is what she is a 'P' Class - New Zealands secret weapon in training world class sailors and winning on occassion the America Cup!

Delwyn said...

Hey skipper, why is this called part 2....

Alden said...

You need to go back and read part one - it is here on my blog

Alden said...

Go to the right hand side of the blog page and click around on the blog archive and find 'The Cygnet Project (Part 1) I Name This.......

Delwyn said...

Ok will do...
and when will little cygnet grow to be a swan so she can fit you in?

Alden said...

I sailed a P class again after many years at a school picnic - It was just like the old days, the boat is about the size of a small yacht dinghy so its not too much of a squeeze although I wouldn't be able to sit down inside it like I did when I was 12 years old - and I will have to place my weight strategically otherwise the bow will be sticking up out of the air - but sail her I shall - and I will post some pictures as well - can't wait to in fact.

Mr. Kinder said...

Cygnets look like very classy little boats. When they grow up, do they turn into OK Dinghies?

Alden said...

I love your play on words Dan - no they are a bit like Peter Pan they never grow up - only the skippers of P classes grow up - and like me I grew out of the P class and bought myself an International OK Dinghy class yacht - God what a boat that was - I just loved it - and it will come as no surprise to tell you that I am looking for one to restore!! :-)

Mr. Kinder said...

When you complete that task, the world will be a better place. The OK Dinghy WAS one of the finest little craft ever. If the world were more as it ought to be, there would be almost 200,000 OK Dinghies, and fewer Lasers, don't you think?

I hope you'll blog about restoring an OK if you do find one in need of your TLC!

Alden said...

Dan you got that EXACTLY right - Lasers aren't really yachts really in my opinion, rather they are just a surfboard with a sail.
The OK dinghy by contrast is a real little ship, wholesome and substantial and as you say, "The OK Dinghy WAS one of the finest little craft ever."
As for owning and restoring one - it is something that is on the list.

alerts said...

chouman
cuoman
shuaiman
neiwomen
kelp2486