Sunday, November 9, 2008

Every Monday Is A Back To School Day

After being interviewed by the school administration, the eager teaching prospect said: "Let me see if I've got this right. You want me to go into that room with all those kids and fill their every waking moment with a love for learning.
.
And I'm supposed to instill a sense of pride in their ethnicity, modify their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse and even censor their T-shirt messages and dress habits.You want me to wage a war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, check their backpacks for weapons of mass destruction, and raise their self-esteem.
.
You want me to teach them patriotism, good citizenship, sportsmanship, and fair play, every subject in the school cirriculum in great detai, how to balance a checkbook, and how to apply for a job.
.
I am to check their heads for lice, maintain a safe environment, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, offer advice, write letters of recommendation for student employment and scholarships, encourage respect for their elders and future employers.
.
And I am to communicate regularly with the parents by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card. All of this I am to do with just a piece of chalk, a computer, a few books, a bulletin board, and a big smile AND on a starting salary that almost equals the minimum wage!
You want me to do all of this, and you expect me NOT TO PRAY?"

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Goodness, aren't teachers fantastic! And I hope the parents are helping them a little bit. :-)

Tillerman said...

Yes we are, but probably no more than most other really hard working people today, like Mums and Dads who work hard for their children.

It is end of year frenzy at the moment and I was feeling a bit overworked when I posted. :-)

Alden said...

Lets try out the flash new photo

Kathryn said...

Is that you???
I can see that it really is you! With no funny animal outfit or anything. It is good to see you again :-)
You haven't changed much, although you had blonde hair and no moustache back in the 60's.

Alden said...

Yes for better or worse it is me. What is it that they say - don't work with animals or children - (teaching for 30+ years and dressing up as some sort of animal for the last decade for our Book Character parades) - ho, hum never did break into Hollywood. :-)

ps - long blonde hair, flared jeans, paisley shirt, Hush Puppy desert boot shoes and a Triumph 200 Tiger Cub motorbike - my effect on the girls from memory was a big fat Zero. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to my wife Christine (she has very poor eyesight).