Thursday, August 7, 2008

This Happens To Me All The Time

Book of Yacht Designs by the Canadian Naval Architect William Garden

On Saturday June 21 2008 on my other blog spot http://www.simplysailing.blogspot.com/ I posted a photograph of a little yacht called 'Bullfrog' and wrote about the yacht and its designer William Garden. I put the post on the blog and thought nothing more of it really:

............... " Now there are yacht designers who are competent designers and then there are yacht designers who are artists. William Garden is an artist. This little yacht enchanted my father so much that he bought a set of plans. Well 'blue prints' as they were called in those days. The blue prints are in my possession now and many a voyage has been planned in winter months while wistfully looking at the curvaceous body of this enticing little ship."......... etc etc etc etc

NOW: William Garden is one of my favourite yacht designers. It is not just his designs which are attractive but also the way he has lived his life. His life is a sort of amalgam of 'The Wind in the Willows' and 'Swallows and Amazons' all rolled into one. He lives on a very small island in British Columbia where he has a design studio, a workshop where yachts are built and all the other accoutrement's from living a life in that space where personal passion and making a livelihood merge. Garden is still alive (in his 90's) and is loved and respected by many around the world. That island is one of the places I would like to visit before I go off to the great eternal spinnaker run in the sky.

THIS WEEK: The teacher who teaches in the classroom next to me had an adult student teacher start a teaching section in her room. This lady is Canadian, her husband is a boat builder and designer. They emigrated to New Zealand in their beautiful ketch. They left to come to NZ from that small island off Salt Spring Island off Victoria Island in British Columbia. They lived on their yacht tied up to the jetty at Bill Garden's island for 2 years while her husband worked in Bill Garden's boat building business. She knows Bill Garden and has told me a lot about him. Her and her husband also know another great designer in the area, Philip Gartside who designs beautiful traditional small yachts. I have a link from my sailing blog to his website. This lady had a similar sailing upbringing as me and there are many associations and connections which we share. It has been very interesting to talk to her.

I am not sure that this coincidence would qualify as the phenomenon called Synchronicity, but in my mind it comes close. It's not so much the meeting of someone who has a close association with someone I have read about but rather the timing of my blog posting and its contents and then the almost immediate connection arriving on my doorstep. - Quite odd, but very, very, very interesting indeed. What is even more curious is that this sort of stuff (coincidences) happen to me in both small and large ways all the time. Coincidence?



15 comments:

Katherine said...

How absolutely lovely!
Things like that happen to me to. I like to think that it comes from having a wide, open range of interests, and also from *noticing* things.

Katherine said...

Like, noticing I needed another 'o' in my comment :-)

Tillerman said...

I like to think of all these big and small coincidences as a sort of on going affirmation from the big fella in the sky that amongst all the chaos there will be an ultimate purpose to it all - childish I suppose but there you are.

I didn't notice the 'o' at all!

Tillerman said...

Well it had to happen, I've grown a big red beard, it suits me don't you think? - And it's in keeping with my Scottish heritage - which goes back to the Gunn clan and then back into the dim distant past to a Viking called Olaf the Black!

I like being a descendant of that gnarly old Viking very much indeed. I bet he was a bad bastard with a wonderfully marauding Viking longboat with one of those curvaceous curly prows and battle shields hung on the side - wish I had his helmet with the big horns on each side.

The new photo is the Tillerman drinking tea - very civilised, not a Viking in sight.

Katherine said...

Ah, so the sea is probably in your genes, Tillerman! Pass the sugar please? And I'll have another slice of Battenburg.

Kathryn said...

I love those wonderful coincidences when they happen - and they have happened to me quite often too! Sometimes it seems a bit spooky, but then, I think you are right Tillerman, they are a means of telling us something that we need to know or pointing us in the right direction.

Tillerman said...

Kathryn it can point us in the right direction, or be a confirmation if we have been trying to listen to that 'small still inner voice'

VenDr said...

Sometimes it means nothing at all. I had one extraordinary experience of synchronicity when I was in Hamilton, but try as I might, I can't think of any great message in it for me. Emil Deschamps records the extraordinary synchronicity of Msr. de Fongibu and a particular type of pudding, and again, it seems amazing but pointless.

It is us who brings the sense of meaning. Perhaps all that we learn is that things are connected - we miss the message most of the time, but at other times the holes in the curtain are very apparent.

Katherine said...

Hey Auden, have you dried up? Time for another post eh? I miss you.

Tillerman said...

A salior dried up? Impossible! that would be like waking up and finding the sea without salt.

I have been battling the same bug as the rest of NZ and I have had a couple of weekends dealing to my classroom.

In their wisdom the BOT has given my classroom a big time makeover (PR and all that) which has entailed me (midterm) emptying my classroom (50+ boxes of stuff) while it was painted and outfitted. I moved back in today (very flash - Me very exhausted - blog on backburner) - I have noooooo idea why I agreed to all this, but my brain has always been very small.

Tillerman said...

Kelvin, I have always thought that coincidences and syncronicities are meaningful by way of pointing to something greater than ourselves - hints of something behind the curtain as it were and 'connectedness' as you say.

Sometimes I have taken them as a confirmation about an idea that I had been thinking about rather than a direct call to direct action of some sort. I find these experiences odd yet strangely reassuring.

Tillerman said...

SAILOR

Katherine said...

're feeling MUCH better soon. Manuka honey and lemon in hottish water...?
At least you have a spanking new room now. Which is not to suggest you do that to your students! Oh, you know what I mean! :-)

Katherine said...

"Hope you" got omitted. Must be tired. Nightie night.

日月神教-向左使 said...

成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,情色論壇,性感影片,正妹,走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,a片