Friday, August 29, 2008

The First Time I Have Ever Won Anything!

A couple of weeks ago I read in the Sunday Star Times newspaper an article by the Southland poet Brian Turner. Included at the end of the article was a competition to win a copy of his new book called "Into the Wider World - A back Country Miscellany". The entry was open to wives (and others I think) to tell how their husbands /dads / sons etc like to waste time - wasting time being one of the values high on Brians list (of course it’s not time wasted at all!) - I entered on Christine’s behalf and cut and pasted something from my sailing blog [one of the bits that was up to Nobel Prize winning standard :-) ] - and won a copy of the book! - it arrived yesterday and a veritable tome it is to - full of essays, poetry and very very beautiful photographs of Central Otago. Below is the winning entry:

This is how my husband likes to waste time, he has told me about it so many times that I know the time he wastes doing this is close to his heart. I think this sort of time wasting is certainly within the spirit of what Brian Turner was talking about in your 'Books' feature (Sunday Star * Times - August 10th)
Below is a description of how he wastes time which I copied from his BlogSpot when he wasn't around, he says it best, but I diagnose best how this waste of time enriches his very being.

"Sailing is at the heart of what I love to do. It's not just the sailing itself which as an activity and sensation is to me poetry in motion, it is the associated peripheral things, which when gathered together make for a pleasing and enchanting whole. To steer her up the coast hard on the wind, at the tiller hour after hour thinking only of the relationship of the angle of the Genoa jib to the eye of the wind and to exult in the way the boat cleaves herself through the waves; or to run downwind like smoke feeling her make use of each wave, is to be immersed in and aware of every interaction of the boat with its environment. To do this is to enter into a meditation of sorts, it is a way for me to be entirely in the present moment and I rejoice in that. For me, experiencing the many moods of the sea is a blessing. Each time it is as if I am experiencing it for the very first time. The wind, the waves, the sky all have an elemental cadence to them.Watching a mirror like calm change to the spindrift blown spray of forty knots or more of wind and wave, and to sail through all this after reefing her well down and watching the destination grow slowly larger on a bright or hazy horizon, for me is being immersed in contentment itself.Then the safe harbour, the snug anchorage, rowing ashore, pulling the trusty dinghy up on the beach. The walks along the beach and climbing a hill to look down at the boat now a toy anchored contentedly in the bay below. At night the meal shared, to lights reflected in varnished mahogany and the warm glow of conversation and camaraderie - and the stars. Not just any old stars - sailing stars, high, high, high stars clear and bright, bright, bright, away from the pollution of the city. The whole sweep of the Milky Way and the cosmos - and as the chill of the night comes, seeking the cosy haven below in a little cabin made for reflection, reading, meditation and contentment.But you must remember this, the nuances of sailing are a life's work, it is always a work in progress and it doesn't suit a plastic caravan mentality, for you see wooden yachts are living things and if you are very quiet and listen carefully they will reveal to you their secrets"


5 comments:

VenDr said...

Congratulations. It's a very well written piece and deserved to win. I hope you enjoy the book - the snippets printed in the newspapers certainly make it look like a book well worth having.

Tillerman said...

Thankyou Kelvin - I don't think I was the only winner - I think there were 10, 20? or more books to give away in the competition. It is a great prize though, full of great poems and musings by a poet who is bit of a Kiwi icon.

Katherine said...

Well done! I one something once :-)

Katherine said...

arghhh WON.

Tillerman said...

Thankyou Katherine, I will post a poem or two of Brian Turners as a post in the future.