Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Such Poise and Such Grace!

Photograph by someone who needs a good clip over the ear

The only way to really salvage anything of my reputation is to come clean, confess and publish this photograph myself. Yes I know I have threatened to pray or cast a spell to make the underwear of anyone referring to this photo (let alone publish it) bunch up for all eternity but that's a dam stupid thing to do (my spells and prayers usually work) and the punishment would be out of all proportion to the crime - I mean, yes, bunch up for a zillion years, but eternity? nah even God wouldn't do that.

This photo was taken at our schools book character parade a couple of years ago. The office lady sent this photo to the 'Dob In' page of the local paper and it was published the next day. On the day it was published I was wondering what all the noise was. I went outside to find people rolling in the streets with laughter. I have to say I laughed for about 5 minutes myself until I looked a little closer ( 5 minutes is actually pret - ty good reaction time when you are in your 50's).

Yes, its hard to imagine that under this hoola hoop enhanced hippo suit there is a coiled spring of a man, a trim human dynamo complete with 6 packs, taut muscles and a huge imagination.
I feel a poem coming on:

THE HIPPOPOTAMUS By Ogden Nash

Behold the hippopotamus!
We laugh at how he looks to us,
And yet in moments dank and grim
I wonder how we look to him.
Peace, peace, thou hippopotamus!
We really look all right to us,
As you no doubt delight the eye
Of other hippopotami

8 comments:

Katherine said...

Gorgeous photo! You are truly a courageous man. Or someone who knows when he is beaten. Ha!

Kathryn said...

Absolutely, and are you really so trim, taut and terrific underneath that suit?
I love the verse too!

Tillerman said...

Kathryn - Taut, trim and terrific are relative terms and as I said I have a good imagination! :-)

Katherine - I often get my words mixed up as well. I know what you meant to say was "Courageous photo! You are truly a gorgeous Man".

Yes imaginative, gorgeous, modest and totally self effacing :-)

VenDr said...

"I shoot the Hippopotamus
with bullets made of platinum,
because if I use the leaden
one his hide is sure to flatten em."
-Hillaire Belloc.

A fetching photo but I don't know what it's fetching. Most becoming but I don't know what it's becoming.

Tillerman said...

The hippo is standing, thinking and Fetching from his imagination the idea of doing a little public ballet dance (that will get the crowd chanting he thinks). Of course his ideas are Becoming sillier by the minute. I shall not tell you the outcome of these fetchings and becomings because it is too embrassing and don't ask for the photos because they have all been burnt.

Daphne said...

Yes, well there's a place for twenty-year-old himbos in the world, I'm sure - - but you wouldn't want to put both their blogs in your favourites, would you?

Tillerman said...

Yes that would definately be taking things to far

Tillerman said...

Of course Daphne I have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Please help me out at this senior moment.