Sunday, July 13, 2008

Itchy Feet and The Bucket List

Small Village South of Paris - Photo - Alden Smith

I woke this morning with a serious case of itchy feet. I have been looking through some old photos from a 2006 trip to Europe. I have had the time to do this because I have been at home sick for the last week or so with a really bad case of the flu. Also it has been very cold and raining constantly, so reading, reflecting and looking at photographs has been a nice pastime.

I bet most people who went and saw the movie 'The Bucket List' were like me. I have had my own 'Bucket List' for years and have been steadily working through it. One of the problems with a 'Bucket List' is that the more experiences you have the more items you tend to add to the list. Reincarnation is one aspect of spiritual reality which I hope is true as it may give me time enough to tick everything on the list. One of the items I ticked off in 2006 was a much anticipated tour of Europe. Of course the whole affair was within the context of leave without pay and a tight budget, but with a lot of planning we were able to complete a tour which gave us the biggest bang for the buck. It was a sort of grand tour, wide ranging but in many ways superficial. So the inevitable happens. We came home and added 'In Depth Tour' to the bucket list.

The 27 day European Tour we went on was great but as our Tour Director Lorenzo Borelli said on the first day, "This is not a holiday it is a Tour! If you want a holiday go to the Bahamas and lie on the beach for a week, tonight we stay here in Paris, tomorrow your morning call will be at 7a.m. ! " He wasn't kidding, but the long days were the only way to pack in just about every iconic sight from the Eiffel Tower to the Leaning Tower of Pisa to Venice.......

The next trip is not going to be like that. It is going to be more in depth, a lot slower and as far away from hotel rooms as we can get. We want to sail on the Norfolk Broads, cycle the Brittany coast in France, visit the Jersey Islands and the Lake District, hire a car in Scotland, Ireland, Italy........ Its quite a long list and the itineray is a muddle at the moment but the seed of an idea has a tendency to start growing especially if you water it with the imagination.


10 comments:

Katherine said...

Ah, Bucketing down here all the time - I had never heard of the expression, but have had one anyway!

Tillerman said...

The recent movie "The Bucket List" starring Jack Nicholson and a wonderful Black American actor whose name escapes me is a story about two men who meet in hospital. They are both having serious operations. The Black American writes a "Bucket List" ie - the things he wants to do before he "Kicks the bucket".

The character played by Jack Nicholson is extremely wealthy, one thing leads to another and he finances all the dreams on the list.

The plot has its twists and turns and complications.... not exactly a GREAT movie - but a good movie nonetheless with an important message.

What I like about lists are that there are no rules and you can do things spontaneously and write them down afterwards!

VenDr said...

So put your money where your mouth is. When are you thinking of going? We will be there for the second term next year. Too soon to meet you for that little sail on the Norfolk Broads?

VenDr said...

I have a friend who has a small yacht anchored in the Thames btw. I'm sure something could be worked out to everyone's mutual advantage there.

Tillerman said...

Thats a daring challenge to make! I might might might....

Good God, fancy seeing you here on the Broads, do you want to play Swallows and Amazons?

Second Term next year? maybe a couple of terms too early, I had intended to be out at the end of 2009, BUT you have sown a seed, I shall water it with my imagination - I know for a fact that Christine would be off tomorrow.

Tell me more about this friend with a boat. What is the 'btw' in Thames btw

Tillerman said...

Yes - in the Thames BY THE WAY! of course, of course, I knew that. :-)

VenDr said...

This is a guy you'd really, really like. He even looks a bit like you, in a younger, more dashing, more handsome and athletic kind of way.
check out:
http://revtc.wordpress.com/

Tillerman said...

More dashing, more handsome, more athletic? is this possible? I will have to have a look.

VenDr said...

2nd term next year is probably too soon. But why don't you and I, Clemency and Christine sit down sometime and talk about round two? Our Bridget is going to the UK 2010. I don't know if Nick will be home by then, but there is incentive for us to be there. Longboat through France? Bicycle the Rhine from Switzerland to Holland? (it's downhill all the way and no bother as long as you stick to the banks and not the river itself) The Santiago de Compostella pilgrimage?
Perhaps we should carry this on privately?

Tillerman said...

I like the cut of your jib sir, you are winching home this opportunity in a seamanlike manner - and it has to be said I have always had a soft spot for those compound words Longboat and Downhill. I shall be in touch.