Friday, June 13, 2008

GIVE ME THE CHILD UNTIL HE IS SEVEN AND I WILL PROBABLY END UP TEACHING HIS SON

Pastel and Dye Picture by Oscar Kippenberger Age 5 years ©

After discussing how wonderful I think children's art is - then displaying something of my own! I thought it appropriate to display the real thing.

I chose this picture in pastel and dye for two reasons. The first reason is that it is a good example of the sort of art
that a five year old does - in art development speak it is the 'schemata stage'. From the 'scribble' stage through to the 'schematic' and the 'true to appearance' stage children are unselfconscious and spontaneous. Further on in their art development as they approach adolescence there is a real concern about getting their drawings "right", they are concerned with photographic like representation and they are troubled if they cannot attain it. Their art can become awkward and self conscious. Some art teachers say that
this is a delicate time, but with the correct help they can go on to become confident drawers with a life long skill. They see artistic skill as being an attainable universal skill
like oral language.

The second reason I chose this work of Oscars is because he is the son whose father I taught some twenty five years or more ago. Oscar is one of two children in my present class whose fathers I have taught. Last term we had our annual Junior School camp which involves a sleep over. The parents and children sleep Marae style in our hall. There was a certain resonance, a certain sense of continuity to see Oscar with his dad; sleeping bags side by side. I felt there was a certain pattern to things, and I also felt old!

1 comment:

Dan Gurney, Mr. Kindergarten said...

Sweet post! Each year I have "grandstudents" in my class, too. It does make one feel old, but in a really good way. Mature, maybe, more than old.